B(ui)LDS: Biological, Universal, and Inclusive Learning in Data Science Community

Biological,
Universal,
and Inclusive Learning in Data Science

Forum

Inclusive Learning Design resource - The floe handbook

1. Carrie Diaz Eaton

So this resource page was shared with my via Hewlett. It has sections on Inclusive Pedagogy, Universal Design and uses the Inclusive Learning Design language. I don't know if it is helpful for you all, but I'd love to keep this thread as a discussion on this resource!

https://handbook.floeproject.org/

Report abuse

2. Andrew Osborne Hasley

This looks really interesting. I'll definitely take a look and share reaction. Drew On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 10:56 AM Carrie Diaz Eaton @ QUBES < support@qubeshub.org> wrote: ---- Emailed forum response from aohasley@gmail.com

Report abuse

3. Kaitlin Stack Whitney

Interesting! I clicked through it and it appears to be blank -- maybe it's brand new? For example, the Perspectives section has nothing in it

Report abuse

4. Carrie Diaz Eaton

I clicked through some sections and liked the language. It looked maybe a bit general, but I didn't dive into some of the further reading links. It also has more of an emphasis on compliance accessibilities/neurodiversity maybe, since cultural inclusivity seems to be the only inclusive pedagogical practice. I bet it is new - I'll try to remember to ask Hewlett about the project origin when I speak to them next. Carrie On Tue, Feb 18, 2020, 1:45 PM Kaitlin Stack Whitney @ QUBES < support@qubeshub.org> wrote: ---- Emailed forum response from mathprofcarrie@gmail.com

Report abuse

5. Andrew Osborne Hasley

Unfortunate if the accessibility emphasis is on compliance. That's such a low, low bar, if you can even define it. Last I knew DOJ has yet to provide guidelines on what constitutes compliance with Section 504 for websites, for instance. Plenty of guidelines around but no specific legal authority guidelines. But again, low bar. Good if they're doing a lot with neurodiversity as that's going to be the biggest population on the "disability" side goign forward. Still from what little I've looked at and Carrie's description, a bit too much emphasis on medical model of disability. While the social model isn't perfect either, it does force you to think about environment design, not accommodating the "broken" people. I hope that more axes of inclusion besides culture (definition of which I'm still unclear on) and ability will make their way in. On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 3:47 PM Qubeshub Support Team wrote: ---- Emailed forum response from aohasley@gmail.com

Report abuse

6. Hayley Orndorf

I just sat down with this and am quite impressed actually. It is easier to navigate on desktop rather than mobile - so in each section (Introduction, Perspectives, Approaches, and Techniques) you have to click "Show Topics" to open a side menu with sub-pages. There are also built in display options for the handbook itself (top right corner) that are impressive and similar to ongoing projects at CAST like Clusive. I found that the handbook is a product of the project, Flexible Learning for Open Education - another entire rabbit hole to explore. 

On the content, their language is really interesting. They are defining inclusivity as planning for the variability of people and contexts, making resources flexible and therefore able to meet the needs of an individual in a specific context, which I interpret as mapping more to the social model of disability. Below are some definitions they use on the Perspectives page:

"Inclusiveness, or the practice of inclusivity, is the belief that the design of a "thing" – whether it is a piece of technology, an everyday object, or even information itself – should be mindful of a broad range of users, their variable abilities, their variety of environments, situations, and contexts.

Inclusiveness is different from accessibility in that inclusivity doesn't specifically address a particular need or problem - rather inclusivity provides a spectrum of tools and features that the end user can choose from to fit his or her requirements in the given context. In short, Inclusiveness is not prescriptive since the user chooses how best to help themselves."

There are a lot of similarities here to universal design (UD/UDI/UDL) that discuss accessibility as a first step or baseline towards a universally designed thing or environment. The idea of users choosing options that best help themselves also maps to UDL and its ultimate goals of developing learners who are experts in how they learn best. 

They also link out to a lot of thought exercises and activities that I'm excited to adopt and adapt :) I wonder if they are connected to BC Campus' Accessibility Toolkit?

Report abuse