Forum

Hello, from Kristin

1. Kristin Jenkins

I'm Kristin Jenkins, and I'm located in Germantown, Maryland, near Montgomery College.  I am the co-PI on this grant with Vedham.  My background is in molecular biology and evolution.  I come to this project through BioQUEST, a professional development community for biology faculty, but I also get to adjunct at the Germantown campus of Montgomery College sometimes.  QB@CC aligns with BioQUEST's long commitment to increasing students' quantitative skills, and QB@CC builds directly on the QUBES project which provides the platform for our group.  I'm very interested in the OER aspect of the project.  My hope is that as a group we will be able to generate a collection of high quality, practical and effective resources to share with the community.  I share my office with my dog, Callisto, who makes sure we take a walk every evening. 

Report abuse

2. Pete Kaslik

I teach math at Pierce College in Lakewood, WA.  The course I teach almost exclusively is statistics, but I also taught our Math in Society course with a theme of sustainability.  In addition to teaching, I used to have a small business through which I would analyze environmental data.  Beyond the typical math courses, I am interested in understanding systems and system dynamics modeling.  I was introduced to this project by one of my biology colleagues at Pierce.  I have participated in other efforts over the years to integrate math with other subjects so that math is more meaningful and I look forward to continuing that effort with this group.

Report abuse

3. Pallavi A Bhale

Hello All!

I am Pallavi Bhale. I am a Math faculty at Montgomery College in Germantown Maryland. My dissertation topic in Grade school was Biofluid Dynamics. I teach Algebra, Differential Equations, and Calculus I, II, III.

I was on the curriculum development committee for “Calculus for Life Sciences I and II” and taught for many semesters until we decided to temporarily discontinue it because the University of Maryland had made some changes to it. I am also a Gen Ed advisor.

I found out about this wonderful opportunity from my Biology colleague. I am very excited to be part of this project and looking forward to working with you all.

Report abuse

4. Jennifer Glee Buntz

As a Biology Faculty at Central New Mexico Community College (CNM), in Albuquerque, NM I have been working with my wonderful colleagues in the QB@CC Steering Committee for about a year and a half now.  This project is so exciting to me because I feel it is so necessary to help students bridge the gaps between topics taught independently, but that are in fact very interrelated.  I also feel invigorated when working with faculty from across the country who are passionate about teaching and dedicated to improving what happens in their classrooms.  

I teach many biology topics at CNM, but since we went online only last March, I have focused on curriculum development for our majors biology sequence which have been taught only online this school year.  

Though we won't be able to meet in person, I am confident that we will have great incubator groups this semester.  Look forward to working with y'all!

Jennifer Buntz

Report abuse