Hello, my name is Irma Santoro and I am an Associate Professor of Biol...

1. Irma Santoro

Hello, my name is Irma Santoro and I am an Associate Professor of Biology at Reinhardt University a small liberal arts college about an hour north of Atlanta, Georgia. This is my first Qubes/Bioquest workshop. I teach several courses including: Introductory Biology, Genetics, Cell Biology, Immunology, Biochemistry and an Environmental Cancer Seminar. I also advise many of our students and was the Biology Program Chair for the last seven years. I was just able to hand that off to a fellow colleague and look forward to getting more involved with my teacing and research. My research focuses on DNA repair regulation in Saccharomyces and environmental mutagens. In addition to focusing more on my research, I will also be taking the role of the Biology Secondary Education Coordinator and will be intrinsically involved with training students for teaching high school biology. I was not trained as a computational or quantitative biologists yet I realize the importance for students experiencing these tools in their education. I am interested in finding ways to incorporate quantitative experiences in all of our biology courses.

On a more personal note, I love to walk and jog or wog as I call it and read in my free time. I have started and belong to several book clubs in my area. I am the mother of two current undergraduate students, one that is a senior and one that will be a sophomore. The experience of being a parent of a college student has brought me to a new understanding of todays’ students and a new prospective into teaching that I never had before. I am looking forward to meeting you all and discovering, developing and learning together. 

Report abuse

2. Sarah Prescott

Irma,

So looking forward to meeting you! I also teach similar courses (Biochem, Genomics) and would love to share stories. My son will be starting at UNH (where I teach, but different campus) this fall and my daughter will be college bound in a few short years! I hear you on understanding and a different perspective that this brings. 

See you soon!

Sarah

Report abuse