Introduction: Stacey

1. Stacey Kiser

Hi all,

I teach bio majors and some non-bio majors at Lane Community College. I am starting my 23rd year with my first sabbatical (!) this fall. I will be interviewing former students about how they got from Lane to where they are today (and making videos to show current students), working with our IT and web site people to build a page for wildlife news from our campus, and learning about the field of taphonomy. Lane built a 50' x 50' fenced area and students are studying the decomposition process (using pig parts for now, but, you know, donated human bodies would be sooooo interesting). This is a collaboration with the University of Oregon's Archeology program. We are generating terabytes of data from multiple game cameras, so I am hoping to get some help with visual data research at this summer's workshop.

I love road trips to national parks. We went to Acadia NP in late June, which is a long way from our home in Eugene Oregon. It was beautiful and so different from the West Coast marine bio systems I grew up with and studied as an undergrad.

Report abuse

2. Pamela Pape-Lindstrom

Hello All,

Two years ago I became the Dean of STEM at Harford Community College in Bel Air, MD.  Prior to that I was a full-time faculty member and department chair/so-chair of Life Sciences at Everett Community College in Everett, WA.  My grad research was in marine ecology using molecular methods to document food web interactions and also quantify secondary productivity via sub-lethal predation. While at Everett, I taught majors biology, environmental science, and sustainability and systems incorporating SimBio simulations and modeling with STELLA.  Now I attempt to apply systems thinking in terms of college administration.  

I have been a PULSE Fellow since 2012 and we have also incorporated some aspects of systems thinking into the NW PULSE Regional Workshops that were held on an annual basis for five years at Talaris in Seattle. 

At HCC, we are interested in adding data science to our existing curricula and also creating new courses and programs in data science.

In terms of hobbies, I am a life-long reader and gardener.  I recently bought my first kayak and look forward to exploring the Chesapeake Bay!

I am looking forward to the meeting!

Report abuse