Intro: Caroline DeVan

1. Caroline DeVan

Hi all,

I'm arriving late to this discussion but reading all the intros is getting me excited for the workshop.  This will be my first BioQUEST workshop and I am ready for "summer camp"!

Currently I am a Lecturer at New Jersey Institute of Technology where I teach full-time mostly intro-level biology majors in an intro-sequence biology class on ecology and evolution.  I also teach animal behavior and will be collaborating on our intro general biology course this coming fall.   I will be taking what I learn at the workshop and sharing it with my colleagues as we work to redesign our intro biology lab sequence.  We are eager to show students the connections between micro and macro levels of biology and think having projects that use big data and allow students to answer their own questions would be a great way to achieve this.

I am trained as a community ecologist where I use wild bees as my model organisms.  I am particularly interested in how humans and urbanization impact communities. Outside of teaching I love reading, traveling and anything outdoors and have been working with a colleague to get our students outside (yes there really is nature in New Jersey!). 

I am looking forward to meeting everyone and re-meeting some folks from the Life Discovery Conference I attended this spring. I have also participated in an FMN and really enjoyed that experience.

Safe travels and see everyone soon!

Report abuse

2. Pat Marsteller

Welcome aboard.  You might want to check out the HITS group.  Using big data in cases.  Some are eco-evo appropriate.

See you soon

Report abuse