Hello Everyone!

1. Tyler Frazier

Hi, sorry for my tardy introduction!  My name is Tyler Frazier and I'm a Lecturer at William & Mary in our newly formed Data Science Program.  My teaching focuses on introducing freshmen to data science methods, applications and concepts mostly through the lense of describing and analyzing human development patterns and processes with emphasis on the development context of low and middle income countries.  I lived in Ghana for large stretches between 2007 and 2012, and while my research is focused on geospatial statistics, that focus also intersects with West Africa.  My research focuses on generating close to reality synthetic populations for use in agent-based models, while more recently I have been joining machine learning approaches (random forest, geostatistical bayes, using cell phone data to model migration using gravity type models etc...).   I know this perspective isn't as biology-centric as the rest of the group, but hopefully you will find my focus at least biology adjacent.  I have been enjoying reading all of your introductions and am very much looking forward to meeting you all!!!  Please feel free to join the slack space in advance of my Monday presentation if you are interested.  The emphasis for my talk will be on introducing freshman to R and Data Science, thus very much a walk before one can run approach to teaching/learning.  I'm more than willing to share any and all code (R and LaTeX) for your own use and adaptation.  If you want to have a quick look at material to determine if my talk will be useful, after joining the slack space, add all of the #data100_ channels, and scroll to the top of the thread to access documents (or click on the all files button under the ... tab).  All of the channels are open access, so please feel free to peruse as you wish.  I'm very excited to participate in the workshop and learn more about how each of you are incorporating data and data science as part of your teaching.  Personally, I'm married with two daughters (ages 8 and 6) and a son (he's 5 weeks old today).  I love to run (but should be doing more of it), attend gymnastics meets and enjoying a good cup of coffee whenever possible.  Looking forward to meeting you all in Williamsburg!

Report abuse

2. Raymond L Tremblay

Hello Tyler. Thanks for sharing. If appreciate talking to you about latex and also geostatistical bayes. Two areas I’d love to learn more about. Raymond Sent from my iPhone > On Jul 12, 2019, at 3:07 PM, Tyler Frazier @ QUBES wrote: > > > ↑ You can reply to this message, just include your reply text above this area. > QUBES https://qubeshub.org/ > QUBES Hub - The Power of Biology, Math, and Community Groups > > Thread: Hello Everyone! > Created: @ 3:07 pm on 12 Jul 2019 > Group: Evolution of Data in the Classroom: From Data to Data Science (SW 2019) > Section: Summer Workshop Discussions > Category: Introductions > Link: https://qubeshub.org/community/groups/summer2019/forum/summer-workshop-discussions/introductions/7903 > Tyler Frazier @ 3:07 pm on 12 Jul 2019 > Hi, sorry for my tardy introduction! My name is Tyler Frazier and I'm a Lecturer at William & Mary in our newly formed Data Science Program. My teaching focuses on introducing freshmen to data science methods, applications and concepts mostly through the lense of describing and analyzing human development patterns and processes with emphasis on the development context of low and middle income countries. I lived in Ghana for large stretches between 2007 and 2012, and while my research is focused on geospatial statistics, that focus also intersects with West Africa. My research focuses on generating close to reality synthetic populations for use in agent-based models, while more recently I have been joining machine learning approaches (random forest, geostatistical bayes, using cell phone data to model migration using gravity type models etc...). I know this perspective isn't as biology-centric as the rest of the group, but hopefully you will find my focus at least biology adjacent. I have been enjoying reading all of your introductions and am very much looking forward to meeting you all!!! Please feel free to join the slack space in advance of my Monday presentation if you are interested. The emphasis for my talk will be on introducing freshman to R and Data Science, thus very much a walk before one can run approach to teaching/learning. I'm more than willing to share any and all code (R and LaTeX) for your own use and adaptation. If you want to have a quick look at material to determine if my talk will be useful, after joining the slack space, add all of the #data100_ channels, and scroll to the top of the thread to access documents (or click on the all files button under the ... tab). All of the channels are open access, so please feel free to peruse as you wish. I'm very excited to participate in the workshop and learn more about how each of you are incorporating data and data science as part of your teaching. Personally, I'm married with two daughters (ages 8 and 6) and a son (he's 5 weeks old today). I love to run (but should be doing more of it), attend gymnastics meets and enjoying a good cup of coffee whenever possible. Looking forward to meeting you all in Williamsburg! > > Unsubscribe: > https://qubeshub.org/community/groups/summer2019/forum?action=unsubscribe&t=0103129f5c0230c3cf9ba3b40120e8af117b > QUBES sent this email because you were added to the list of recipients on https://qubeshub.org/. Visit our Privacy Policy and Support Center if you have any questions. ---- Emailed forum response from raymond.tremblay@upr.edu

Report abuse

3. Willysha Jenkins

Greetings from Music City!!

My name is Willysha Jenkins I am a recent graduate of North Carolina Central Universities Biological and Biomedical Sciences Program. My graduate research was conducted on the premise that the disparities seen in Metabolic Syndrome could be better understood through identification of novel biomarkers that segregate it's endotypes. There are many challenges that arise when addressing a problem such as this, don't worry I won't bore you with the details. However, I will say that one of the main issues is a lack of ease and access to MetS specific data. Using a combination of machine learning and data mining techniques; I began to address this multifaceted problem by creating a centralized location for the biological, psychosocial, and ancillary data related to MetS using The National Health And Nutrition Examination Survey. In addition to continuing this research, I currently act as an instructor and co-developer of Fisk Universities computational thinking QEP. In this initiative we target incoming freshman, introducing them to computational thinking and methods of logic using computer science as a proxy. Students regardless of degree track, are exposed to the "mystical" world of programming in a relatable and relevant way.  The most exciting part for me is that we are indoctrinating, if you will, some of the most underrepresented groups in the field of data science and computer science alike.  My hope is that the skills developed in this curriculum will create a commonality among future scholars of varying expertise. Allowing for the development of interdisciplinary relationships and efforts in addressing tomorrow's social and scientific issues. 

Report abuse