Paul Strode

1. Paul Strode

I teach AP/IB Biology, Science Research, and Anatomy at Fairview High School in Boulder, Colorado, and I am a Teaching Ambassador for HHMI BioInteractive. I graduated from Manchester College (IN; now University) in 1991 with a BS in Biology, Chemistry, and Secondary Ed. I then taught at Hazen High School from ‘91-’99, coached cross country and track, and completed a Masters in Science Ed. (C&I) at the University of Washington (Seattle). I finished my doctorate in Ecology (bird migration, climate change, and trophic cascades) at the University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign) in 2004 and then moved to Boulder for my wife, Sarah Zerwin, to complete her doctorate in English Ed. at CU. Sarah is publishing a book this year (Heinemann) on the pointless classroom (not using points to get to a grade). We both teach at the same school and our daughter, Jane, will be a junior this year at the school. I’ve been teaching descriptive and inferential statistics in my high school biology classes since finishing graduate school in 2004. In 2014, fellow biology teacher, Ann Brokaw, and I co-authored the guide “Using BioInteractive Resources to Teach Mathematics and Statistics in Biology”[https://www.biointeractive.org/sites/default/files/media/file/2019-05/Statistics-Teacher-Guide.pdf] as a resource for teachers to bring statistics into their own high school biology courses. I continue to create data-based questions for my students and to engage them in quantitative reasoning. I run, bike, and swim, and occasionally publish in The American Biology Teacher. I also blog as Mr. Dr. Science Teacher (mrdrscienceteacher.wordpress.com).

I am looking forward to some total immersion in data science discussions and brainstorming, but not to the heat and humidity.

Report abuse