Modification of "Exploring the population dynamics of wintering bald eagles through long-term data" module
Author(s): Kaitlin Stack Whitney
Rochester Institute of Technology
1140 total view(s), 744 download(s)
- eagle data.xlsx(XLSX | 133 KB)
- eagle slides.pptx(PPTX | 671 KB)
- EnvWorkshop_Spring2019_eagles.docx(DOCX | 17 KB)
- model and self evaluation - eagles.docx(DOCX | 14 KB)
- Teaching Notes - Bald Eagles.docx(DOCX | 15 KB)
- Exploring the population dynamics of wintering bald eagles through long-term data
- License terms
This module is a modification of the "Exploring the population dynamics of wintering bald eagles through long-term data" module by Beckstead et al. 2011 in TIEE Volume 7.
This modification differs significantly in several ways, while retaining the overall learning objectives of open-ended data exploration. This modification uses the "open-ended" data and asks students to develop, test, and evaluate a hypothesis using a table to map out their ideas. This modification includes a modification of the table and questions to evaluate the data. This modification also includes a meta-cognition based model and self/team reflection component with additional questions.
This module modification is designed to be implemented in 1-2 lab/in-class periods, with no advance reading and a brief introduction (slides provided) to bald eagle biology and natural history at the beginning of the assignment presented by the instructor (with minimal but backup reading in the provided packet to students).
The author would like to thank the organizers of the QUBES ESA Data Explorers Spring 2019 FMN, for their mentoring, organizing, support and leadership. The author would also like to thank her fellow participants in the FMN for camaraderie as we developed our draft modules - and especially to her students for classroom testing this module!
This version was released May 8, 2019 and updated May 30, 2019 with teaching notes.
Cite this work
Researchers should cite this work as follows:
- Whitney, K. S. (2019). Modification of "Exploring the population dynamics of wintering bald eagles through long-term data" module. ESA Data Explorers FMN (2019), (Version 1.1). QUBES Educational Resources. doi:10.25334/Q4RF2D
There are no comments on this resource.