Slides and materials for the STEM Inclusive Teaching Practices Webinar Series: Universal Design for Learning
EDSIN (Environmental Data Science Inclusion Network), B(ui)LDS (Biological Universal and Inclusive Learning in Data Science, BLUE (Biodiversity Literacy in Undergraduate Education), and iDigBio (Integrated Digitized Biocollections), are organizing a new webinar series entitled “Inclusive Teaching Practices in STEM Education.” The purpose of this series is to initiate discussion on topics related to inclusive teaching practices while building community among a diversity of STEM disciplines interested in creating more inclusive learning environments for undergraduate students. Our partners represent very different communities in the world of STEM, but we are all really interested in fostering more diverse and inclusive communities, so one goal of this project is to raise awareness of the existing knowledge base and resources that exist.
Episode Two will introduce Universal Design for Learning (UDL), an educational framework originally developed by CAST that guides instructors in the design of learning environments and educational materials that are accessible, engaging, and challenging for all students. This episode will also offer attendees the opportunity to practice identifying and applying UDL principles to classroom activities. As this episode is designed to be interactive, please attend prepared to collaborate with others as we learn together.
- BioMAAP_checking_your_answers_UDL_Webinar_v2.docx(DOCX | 1 MB)
- STEM Inclusive Teaching Practices Webinar Series_ Universal Design for Learning_v2.pptx(PPTX | 446 KB)
- Answer Checking - Modified for Applying UDL (Google Doc)
- STEM Inclusive Teaching Practices Webinar Series: Universal Design for Learning (Google Slides)
This shortened BIOMAAP activity on answer checking strategies was used as an example activity to practice applying Universal Design for Learning
- License terms
Cite this work
Researchers should cite this work as follows:
- Andrew Osborne Hasley, Hayley Orndorf (2020). STEM Inclusive Teaching Practices Webinar Series: Universal Design for Learning. Universal Design for Learning, (Version 2.0). QUBES Educational Resources. doi:10.25334/R29S-8433
This version was updated to include additional slides and updated instructions for the Answer Checking activity in the webinar.