This resources provides a framework for students to write a Microbiology Resource Announcement, collaboratively.
Listed in Teaching Materials | resource by group HHMI Science Education Alliance (SEA) Faculty Group
After annotating their phage genomes, students will work collaboratively to write a Microbiology Resource Announcement describing the phage(s) they discovered.
After completing this module, students should be able to:
- Write drafts of a Microbiology Resource Announcement describing annotated phage genomes
- Collaborate with their peers to write a final draft of the Microbiology Resource Announcement
- Understand that scientific writing is an ongoing process, from peer review to final publication
- Be proficient in locating suitable resources and using appropriate citations for the publication
How is the module structured to promote student development as a scientist? One of the most important aspects of being a scientist is becoming a good writer in order to communicate the results of projects. Quality writing exemplifies the basic skills expected of a trained scientist: organization, attention to detail, and critical analysis. After having annotated their phage genomes, students will initially write a draft of a Microbiology Resource Announcement before working collaboratively as a class to write the final draft. This module will promote peer collaboration, encourage engagement and independence, model scientific thinking, and result in scientific output.
Intended Teaching Setting
Course level: majors, first-year students, upperclassmen, honors students
Instructional Setting: in-person classroom or online
Implementation Time Frame: 4-6 hours from writing preliminary draft to final draft ready for submission
Writing Microbiology Resource Announcement Process Details
Learning activity document(s):
Microbiology Resource Announcement Template,
Guidelines to writing a Microbiology Resource Announcement,
Reference List for Software/Programs Commonly Used in the SEA-PHAGES Program
Microbiology Resource Announcement assessment rubric
Acknowledgments: HHMI, Denise Monti
- Guidelines to writing a Microbiology Resource Announcement1.1.docx(DOCX | 16 KB)
- Microbiology Resource Announcement Assessment Rubric1.1.docx(DOCX | 11 KB)
- Microbiology Resource Announcement Template1.1.docx(DOCX | 18 KB)
- Reference List for Software_Programs Commonly Used in the SEA-PHAGES Program.docx(DOCX | 8 KB)
- Writing Microbiology Resource Announcements Process Details1.1.docx(DOCX | 16 KB)
- Microbiology Resource Announcements
- License terms
Cite this work
Researchers should cite this work as follows:
- Arturo Diaz, Julia Lee-Soety, Shima Chaudhary, Richard Pollenz (2021). Writing Microbiology Resource Announcements Collaboratively. HHMI Science Education Alliance (SEA) Faculty Group, (Version 1.1). QUBES Educational Resources. doi:10.25334/JKPE-BM93
Version 1.1 updates the change from using Genome Announcement to Microbiology Resource Announcement. The Guide also provides clarity on the process to work with University of Pitt to assure that Genbank Accession numbers and SRA information is submitted.
HHMI Science Education Alliance (SEA) Faculty Group
This publication belongs to the HHMI Science Education Alliance (SEA) Faculty Group group.
When watching a resource, you will be notified when a new version is released.