This module introduces students to leaf-cutter ants in the rainforests of Panama. Students derive their own research hypotheses regarding ant foraging or allometric scaling relationships.
Listed in Teaching Materials | resource by group AIMS: Analyzing Images to learn Mathematics and Statistics
This module was created as a way to give students a realistic, open-inquiry research experience, even when lab or field research is not possible. Students are introduced to leaf-cutter ants and how they forage, provided with images and videos, and are asked to develop a hypothesis, plan a study, collect real primary data, and analyze the data. Minimally the experience can take a couple of hours of class time and some report writing as homework. On the other end, full research papers or posters could be the product of a more rigorous research experience.
Potential Learning Objectives:
- Students will be able to generate meaningful scientific hypotheses given a context for study.
- Students will use image analysis software to generate data from an image set.
- Students will be able to conduct and interpret linear regression analyses (including R2, p-values, hypothesis testing, slopes/y-intercepts), given data they've collected.
- Students will write a results section in typical scientific literature format.
- Students will be able to construct and interpret frequency histograms.
- Students will apply programming concepts to automate a series of procedures.
- Students will be able to conduct appropriate statistical analysis for a categorical independent and numerical dependent variable.
Cite this work
Researchers should cite this work as follows:
- Wojdak, J. M., Touchon, J., Hughey, M. (2018). Leaf cutter ant foraging. AIMS: Analyzing Images to learn Mathematics and Statistics, QUBES Educational Resources. doi:10.25334/Q4RB0M
AIMS: Analyzing Images to learn Mathematics and Statistics
This publication belongs to the AIMS: Analyzing Images to learn Mathematics and Statistics group.
When watching a resource, you will be notified when a new version is released.