This activity introduces the research showing a benefit of reflective writing, and then uses a modified version of the prompt from Park et al. to provide practice. Includes Teaching Notes.
Listed in Teaching Materials | resource by group Biology Students Math Attitudes and Anxiety Program (BIOMAAP): a QUBES Faculty Mentoring Network
Adapted from: Reflective Writing v 1.0
I used shortened the handout to be 2 pages. I used the powerpoint as-is.
Included are my teaching notes.
Note: the teaching notes (Word doc) covers both an overview of how I implemented several BIOMAAP resources in my course, as well as how I implemented this particular resource.
Here are my notes for Reflective Writing:
I shortened the handout to fit on 2 pages to reduce paper waste.
Students read the handout in class – first they read to the end of the first page (about the experiment) and we discussed it. Then they read to the end of the second page and we discussed it together. Then they practiced writing about their feelings for 5 minutes (that same day in lecture they had a quiz, so I asked them to write about how they felt before that quiz).
They did reflective writing “for real” the next lab period when they took their lab exam.
I don’t have evidence about whether the activity helped them.
- BioMAAP_reflective_writing_2page.docx(DOCX | 1 MB)
- BIOMAAP_reflective_writing.1.1.pptx (unavailable)(PPTX)
- BioMAAP_reflective_writing_InstructionGuide.1.1.docx (unavailable)(DOCX)
- Teaching_Notes_BioMAAP_reflective_writing1.3-2156.docx(DOCX | 23 KB)
- License terms
Cite this work
Researchers should cite this work as follows:
- Dyer, J. (2019). Reflective Writing - 2-page handout & Teaching Notes. Biology Students Math Attitudes and Anxiety Program (BIOMAAP): a QUBES Faculty Mentoring Network, QUBES Educational Resources. doi:10.25334/Q4246M
Biology Students Math Attitudes and Anxiety Program (BIOMAAP): a QUBES Faculty Mentoring Network
This publication belongs to the Biology Students Math Attitudes and Anxiety Program (BIOMAAP): a QUBES Faculty Mentoring Network group.
When watching a resource, you will be notified when a new version is released.