We're sorry! Resource content is currently unavailable.
This module is a modification of the Nuding and Hampton module in TIEE Volume 8. This modified module includes data from Alaska and is modified to be completed as an asynchronous lab in an online class.
Adapted from: Investigating human impacts on stream ecology: locally and nationally v 1.0
This module is a modification of the "Investigating human impacts on stream ecology: locally and nationally" module by Nuding and Hampton 2012 in TIEE Volume 8.
This modification differs from the original module in several ways, while retaining the overall learning objective of analyzing human impacts on streams locally and nationally. This modification has students work individually on their own time to complete the lab, making it suitable for asynchronous online classes. The modification also includes pilot data from Alaska, to make it more relevant for Alaskan students.
This module modification is designed to be implemented as an asynchronous lab activity for an online course with no advance work. Students are assessed based on their answers to discussion questions in the lab handout, including making plots and analyzing data using R or Excel.
The author would like to thank the organizers of the QUBES ESA Data Access and Inclusion Spring 2020 FMN, for their mentorship and organizational support. The author would also like to thank her fellow FMN participants for their peer support while teaching during Covid-19.
- Investigating human impacts on stream ecology: locally and nationally (Abstract) | TIEE
- Faculty Teaching Notes_HumanImpactsStreams_Larson.docx(DOCX | 23 KB)
- Lab Description - Investigating human impacts on stream ecology- locally and nationally.docx(DOCX | 261 KB)
- StudentStreamData.xls(XLS | 210 KB)
- supplement 3.png(PNG | 5 MB)
- supplement1.pdf(PDF | 4 MB)
- supplement2.pdf(PDF | 30 KB)
- supplement4.pdf(PDF | 951 KB)
- supplement5.pdf(PDF | 528 KB)
- License terms
Cite this work
Researchers should cite this work as follows:
- Larson, E. (2020). Investigating human impacts on stream ecology: locally and nationally. ESA Data Access - Inclusive Pedagogy, (Version 1.1). QUBES Educational Resources. doi:10.25334/DPZ9-QD77