We're sorry! Resource content is currently unavailable.
I incorporated fracking into the case study instead of just focusing on building a pipeline, which allowed us to discuss fracking with this case study.
Listed in Teaching Materials | resource by group Investigating socio-environmental issues with data
Adapted from: A Pipeline in Paradise, Part 1: Learning the Relevant Science v 1.0
This Qubes Resource is a modification of A Pipeline in Paradise Part 1 Case Study. I developed a Power Point presentation for the case study instead of using the video. I also changed the case study to include fracking (not just building a pipeline through the area). This enabled us to discuss fracking.
I followed this format:
- I lecture about what fracking is and why it is done.
- Then I give each student a worksheet that has EITHER the benefits or dangers of fracking. They read the worksheet and there is a question at the bottom that asks, based on what you have read, would you support or not support fracking?
- Then they have to find a student who had the opposing worksheet (so if you had benefits, you find someone who had dangers) and then you tell the person what you learned.
- Then we discuss positives and negatives as a class and put them on the board.
- Next I presented the Power Point with the case study information.
- After that, they do the activity which involves them working in a group and brainstorming questions from the point of view of the farmer.
- Then they brainstorm questions from the point of view of the county government.
- Finally they get an assignment to write a memo from the point of view of a citizen of the county to either support or not support inviting the energy company into the county. They must use some kind of data to support their argument. (We looked at graphs of earthquake increases and we looked at job growth from fracking).
Cite this work
Researchers should cite this work as follows:
- Schneider, V. (2018). A Pipeline in Paradise. Investigating socio-environmental issues with data, QUBES Educational Resources. doi:10.25334/Q4CM33
Investigating socio-environmental issues with data
This publication belongs to the Investigating socio-environmental issues with data group.
When watching a resource, you will be notified when a new version is released.