Find information on common questions and issues.
Check on the status of your correspondences with members of the QUBES team.
A 360˚ View of COVID-19
30 Nov 2021 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Nikolaos Tsotakos1, Victoria Del Gaizo Moore2, Lisa Z. Scheifele3, Michael J. Wolyniak4, Joseph W. Chihade5, Joseph J. Provost6, Jennifer A. Roecklein-Canfield*7
1. Penn State Harrisburg 2. Elon University 3. Loyola University Maryland 4. Hampden-Sydney College 5. Carleton College 6. University of San Diego 7. Simmons University
In March 2020, institutions underwent a massive transition to distance learning as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. With so little time to devise new materials to maximize learning in the new...
A CRISPR/Cas Guide RNA Design In Silico Activity
29 Aug 2021 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Leigh Ann Samsa*1, Linnea Andersen1, Adam Groth1, Carlos Goller1
North Carolina State University
CRISPR biotechnologies inspired by the Clustered Regularly Interspaced Short Palindromic Repeat RNA-guided nuclease adaptive bacterial immune system have revolutionized biology research and become...
A CURE for Salmonella: A Laboratory Course in Pathogen Microbiology and Genomics
15 Sep 2021 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Sophie K. Jurgensen1, Joseph Harsh2, James B. Herrick*2
1. James Madison University, Louisiana State University 2. James Madison University
Rapid advances in genomics and bioinformatics, the vast amount of data generated by next-generation sequencing, and the penetration of the ‘-omics’ into many areas of biology have...
A Fun Introductory Command Line Exercise: Next Generation Sequencing Quality Analysis with Emoji!
07 Jun 2019 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Rachael St. Jacques1, Max Maza1, Sabrina Robertson2, Guoqing Lu3, Andrew Lonsdale4, Ray A Enke5
1. Department of Biology, James Madison University 2. Department of Psychology & Neuroscience, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill 3. Department of Biology and School of Interdisciplinary Informatics, University of Nebraska Omaha 4. ARC Centre of Excellence in Plant Cell Walls, Melbourne University 5. James Madison University
This resource is a fun computer-based intro to command line programming. The activity takes FASTQ NGS data files and runs a fun program called FASTQE.
28 Feb 2019 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
A Fun Introductory Command Line Lesson: Next Generation Sequencing Quality Analysis with Emoji!
30 Aug 2021 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Rachael M. St. Jacques †1, William M. Maza †1, Sabrina D. Robertson2, Andrew Lonsdale3, Caylin S. Murray1, Jason J. Williams4, Ray A. Enke*1
1. James Madison University 2. University of North Carolina Chapel Hill 3. University of Melbourne 4. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, DNA Learning Center
Radical innovations in DNA sequencing technology over the past decade have created an increased need for computational bioinformatics analyses in the 21st century STEM workforce. Recent...
A Hands-on Introduction to Hidden Markov Models
04 Jan 2019 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Tony Weisstein1, Elena Gracheva2, Zane Goodwin2, Zongtai Qi2, Wilson Leung2, Christopher D. Shaffer2, Sarah C.R. Elgin2
1. Truman State University 2. Washington University in St. Louis
A lesson in which students will understand the basic structure of an HMM, the types of data used in ab initio gene prediction, and its consequent limitations.
Aging and Circular RNAs
13 Apr 2018 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Pedro Miura
University of Nevada, Reno
A science FIT seminar presented to incoming freshmen at UNR
An Introduction to the R Programming Environment
02 Jun 2021 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By K. A. Garrett1, P. D. Esker1, A. H. Sparks1
Kansas State University
An online module introducing students and biologists to R, published in American Phytopathological Society
An undergraduate bioinformatics curriculum that teaches eukaryotic gene structure
31 Aug 2021 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Meg M. Laakso1, Leocadia V. Paliulis2, Paula Croonquist3, Brianna Derr2, Elena Gracheva4, Charles Hauser5, Carina Howell6, Christopher Jones7, Jacob D. Kagey8, Jennifer Kennell9, S. Catherine Silver Key10, Hemlata Mistry11, Srebrenka Robic12, Jamie Sanford13, Marisol Santisteban14, Chiyedza Small15, Rebecca Spokony16, Joyce Stamm17, Melanie Van Stry18, Wilson Leung4, Sarah C.R. Elgin4
1. Eastern University 2. Bucknell University 3. Anoka-Ramsey Community College 4. Washington University in St. Louis 5. St. Edward’s University 6. Lock Haven University 7. Moravian College 8. University of Detroit Mercy 9. Vassar College 10. North Carolina Central University 11. Widener University 12. Agnes Scott College 13. Ohio Northern University 14. The University of North Carolina at Pembroke 15. Medgar Evers College, The City University of New York 16. Baruch College, The City University of New York 17. University of Evansville 18. Lane College
Gene structure, transcription, translation, and alternative splicing are challenging concepts for many undergraduates studying biology. These topics are typically covered in a traditional lecture...
Behavioral Genetics: Investigating the genes of a complex phenotype in fruit flies
03 Jan 2019 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Craig E. Stanley, Jr., Charles Hadley S. King, IV, Michelle Thornton, Rob J. Kulathinal
Introductory genetics laboratory published as GSA Learning Resource
Bioinformatics - Investigating Sequence Similarity
04 Dec 2018 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Adam Kleinschmit1, Benita Brink1, Steven Roof2, Carlos Christopher Goller3, Sabrina Robertson3
1. Adams State University 2. Fairmont State University 3. North Carolina State University
This laboratory module, leads introductory biology students in the exploration of a basic set of bioinformatics concepts and tools.
05 Jul 2017 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Adam Kleinschmit1, Benita Brink1, Steven Roof2, Komal Vig3, Carlos Christopher Goller4, Sabrina Robertson5
1. Adams State University 2. Hampshire College 3. Alabama State University 4. North Carolina State University 5. NC State
05 Jun 2017 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Adam Kleinschmit1, Benita Brink1, Steven Roof2, Komal Vig3
1. Adams State University 2. Hampshire College 3. Alabama State University
31 Jan 2017 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
Bioinformatics / Neuroinformatics
By William Grisham
University of California, Los Angeles
This module is a computer-based introduction to bioinformatics resources. This easy-to-adopt module weaves together several important bioinformatic tools so students can grasp how each is used in...
Bioinformatics: CpG Islands
17 Oct 2017 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Edward Himelblau
California Polytechnic State University
This is an introductory bioinformatics exercise intended for use in a genetics course.
Bioinformatics: Investigating Sequence Similarity - A Plant Biology Approach
29 May 2019 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Ami Erickson
This laboratory module is a modification of the original published on CourseSource with a focus on plant biology. In the final activity, students conduct a BLAST to compare histone protein...
BSL-4: Authorized Personnel Only
17 Aug 2020 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Nicole Anthony
Biological Sciences, Toronto District School Board
National Center for Case Study Teaching in Science resource on the 2014 Ebola epidemic. This resource is also included in the NIBLSE Learning Resource Collection