Find information on common questions and issues.
Check on the status of your correspondences with members of the QUBES team.
UDL Mapping Activity
20 Oct 2021 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Andrew Osborne Hasley1, Hayley Orndorf2
1. North Carolina State University Biotechnology Program 2. University of Pittsburgh
This activity guides faculty through analyzing a resource using the Universal Design for Learning Guidelines.
Introduction to the Universal Design for Learning Guidelines
1. North Carolina State University Biotechnology Program 2. BioQUEST
Two activities for introducing Universal Design for Learning to a faculty audience
Scientist Spotlights and Data Nuggets Workshop Materials (BIOME 2021)
29 Jul 2021 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Jessica Ashley Allen1, Jennifer Apple2, Karen Groh3, Elizabeth Hamman4, Pratima Jindal5, Pat Marsteller6, Heather Olins7, Darlene Panvini8, Rachel Pigg9, Gustavo Requena Santos10, Merrie Renee Richardson11, Sheela Vemu12, Jennifer Wade13, Suann Yang14
1. Columbia College 2. SUNY Geneseo 3. Good Samaritan College 4. St Mary's College of Maryland 5. Waubonsee Community College 6. Emory University 7. Boston College 8. Belmont University 9. University of Louisville 10. Science Yourself 11. Southcentral Kentucky Community & Technical College 12. Waubonsee Community College - Tenure Track and Northern Illinois University 13. Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences 14. State University of New York College at Geneseo
Materials and resources for the "Scientist Spotlights and Data Nuggets Workshop," presented at the 2021 Biology and Mathematics Educators (BIOME) Institute.
Examining Medical and Scientific Racism Using the Story of Henrietta Lacks
22 Jul 2021 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Melissa Haswell
This is a semester-long project in which students read and discuss the story of Henrietta Lacks from multiple ethical perspectives. This project was developed for an undergraduate science ethics...
Critical inquiry for inclusive teaching of statistics
28 Jun 2021 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Carrie Diaz Eaton
Professional development workshop slides to help curate conversations in teaching statistics with a critical inquiry lens.
Open Practices Learning Community Curriculum
04 Jun 2021 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Karen Cangialosi
Keene State College
This is a learning community curriculum designed to engage participants in discussions, short readings and mini-exercises to explore basic tools for Open Educational Practices (OEP)
Exploring EnvironmenATL Justice with Data Analytics and Visualization
14 May 2021 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Ethell Vereen
Basic data handling and data analysis skills are introduced to visualize and analyze ‘big data.’ Environmental justice is introduced to give students an understanding of tools and strategies to...
Designing an Anti-Racist Syllabus
08 Mar 2021 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By CSUEB Alliance for the Black Community Education1, Ana Almeida1, Kim Geron1, Pascale S. Guiton1, Nina Haft1, Marlin Halim1, Eve Higby1, Michael Lee1, ZáNean McClain1
California State University East Bay
The Alliance for the Black Community (ABC) developed a workshop to help faculty at California State University East Bay redesign their syllabi to incorporate anti-racist pedagogical practices.
Molecular CaseNet - Developing Intro Tutorials - YouTube
03 Dec 2020 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Jean Cardinale1, Keith A. Johnson2, Marie C. Montes-Matias3, Natalie Stringer4, Aeisha Thomas5, Shuchismita Dutta6
1. Alfred University 2. Bradley University College of Liberal Arts and Sciences 3. Union County College 4. LabArchives, LLC 5. Crown College 6. RCSB Protein Data Bank, Rutgers University
Biome Institute 2020, Summary Video
Molecular CaseNet - Students Writing Cases - YouTube
By Didem Vardar-Ulu1, Elizabeth Pollock2, Kasandra Riley (She/Her)3, Nik Tsotakos4, Swati Agrawal5, Shuchismita Dutta6
1. Boston University, Chemistry Department 2. Stockton University 3. Rollins College 4. Penn State Harrisburg 5. University of Mary Washington 6. RCSB Protein Data Bank, Rutgers University
Team microBIOME Fall 2020 - DIY microbiome analysis
25 Nov 2020 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Davida Smyth1, Alice Tarun2, Christine Girtain3, Melanie Lenahan4, Maira Goytia, Khuanchivin Geena Sompanya5, Theodore Muth6
1. The New School 2. Alfred State College 3. Toms River Regional School NJ 4. Raritan Valley Community College 5. CUNY 6. CUNY Brooklyn College
This is our final team report for this year's BIOME Institute 2020. Learn about what we got up to and what we're planning for Spring 2021. If you want more information on REMNet go...
Genomics Lessons with GEA - RNA-Seq CURES
By Vince Buonaccorsi1, Marcella Denise Cervantes2, Douglas L Chalker3, Maira Goytia, Wilson Leung3, Laurel Lorenz4, Laura Reed5, Anne Rosenwald6, Analyne Manzano Schroeder7, Emily Wiley8, Jason Williams9
1. Juniata College 2. Albion College 3. Washington University in St. Louis 4. Princeton 5. University of Alabama 6. Georgetown University 7. Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute 8. Claremont McKenna College 9. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
Our BIOME Group worked towards developing a set of learning goals for faculty who plan to launch a CURE based on RNA-Seq data. We also developed a workflow for analysis of either prokaryotic or...
Analysis of Amylase Activity
24 Nov 2020 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Allison Carter Burlyn1, Christina Fieber1, Melanie Lenahan2
1. Horry-Georgetown Technical College 2. Raritan Valley Community College
This lab is an exploration of enzyme function and the effects of environmental conditions on the activity of the enzyme amylase. The lab utilizes analytical and graphing skills to assess enzyme...
S-JEDI Learning Group Resource
27 Aug 2020 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Carrie Diaz Eaton1, Jasmine Roberts2, Pat Marsteller3, Maggie Diamond-Stanic4
1. Bates College and QUBES 2. The Ohio State University 3. Emory University 4. Bates College
This resource provides a curriculum for a 6 week learning group centered on examining social justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion, specifically geared to organizational leaders in open education.
Lesson VII - Synteny
05 Aug 2020 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Gaurav Arora1, Anne Rosenwald2, Vinayak Mathur3
1. Gallaudet University 2. Georgetown University 3. Cabrini University
The lesson teaches about synteny or the order of genes along a chromosome, which is useful for looking at orthologous genes between two species or strains.
Phage Discovery Videos
By Billy Biederman1, Vic Sivanathan1
Howard Hughes Medical Institute
A compilation of videos to support teaching the concepts and protocols for discovering and working with phage.
Atlas of Black Scholarship for Inclusive and Racially Diverse STEM Curricula – Volume I
30 Jul 2020 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Aparna Anandkumar1, Ariel Moline2, Pascale S. Guiton2
1. Castro Valley High School & California State University East Bay 2. California State University East Bay
The contributions of Black scientists to the advancement of STEM are poorly represented in course materials. Here, we provide an Atlas of Black Scholarship to help Life Sciences and Chemistry...
Vertebrate Clade Race
11 Jun 2020 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By David Baum1, Kristin Jenkins2
1. University of Wisconsin 2. BioQUEST
This activity introduces basic tree reading skills for evolutionary phylogenies. It is designed as a short group activity. After completing this activity, students should be familiar with basic...
Digital Atlas of Ancient Life | Exploring the Diversity and History of Fossil Life
08 Jun 2020 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Jonathan Hendricks
Paleontological Research Institution
The Digital Atlas project include field guides to fossils (including a mobile app), an online paleontology textbook, and a collection of over 500 virtual 3D models of fossil specimens.
Caribbean coral reef structure and biodiversity - Comparing boosted regression tree & multiple regression approaches
29 May 2020 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Eric Womack
Virginia Commonwealth University
Creating and comparing boosted regression tree models to multiple regression models.