Find information on common questions and issues.
Check on the status of your correspondences with members of the QUBES team.
Spreadsheet Data Analysis Tutorial Series
15 Jan 2018 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By HHMI BioInteractive
This series of self-paced tutorials show how to analyze data using a spreadsheet program.
Spreadsheet Tutorial 1 -- Formulae, Functions, and Averages | HHMI BioInteractive
This introduction to spreadsheet programs describes the basic organization of a worksheet, how to organize and format your data, how to perform simple mathematical calculations, how to use built-in...
Data Nugget Grading Rubrics
14 Jan 2018 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Brenda Witt
Redlands Community College
As a supplement to the rubric provided for Data Nugget modules, I created a rubric containing specific point values for individual portions of the module as well as specific guidelines for...
Map Your Hazards! – Assessing Hazards, Vulnerability and Risk
11 Jan 2018 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Brittany Brand1, Pamela McMullin-Messier2, Melissa Schlegel3
1. Boise State University 2. Central Washington University 3. College of Western Idaho
The Map Your Hazards module provides students an interactive mechanism to engage in place-based exploration of natural hazards, social vulnerability, risk and the factors that shape their...
A Growing Concern: Sustaining Soil Resources through Local Decision Making
By Sarah Fortner1, Martha Murphy2, Hannah Scherer3
1. Wittenberg University 2. Santa Rosa Junior College 3. Virginia Tech
This module addresses this need by providing students the opportunity to examine the differences between intensively managed agricultural landscapes (e.g. grazelands, conventional tillage) and...
Natural Hazards and Risks: Hurricanes
By Lisa Gilbert1, Josh Galster2, Joan Ramage3
1. Williams College 2. Montclair State University 3. Lehigh University
Making the difficult decision to evacuate before a hurricane makes landfall can save lives and property. This two week module explores how hurricanes connect the ocean-atmosphere-terrestrial...
Climate of Change: Interactions and Feedbacks between Water, Air, and Ice
10 Jan 2018 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Cindy Shellito1, Becca Walker2, Cynthia Fadem3
1. University of Northern Colorado 2. Mt. San Antonio College 3. Earlham College
In this two to three week module, students explore short-term climate variability resulting from atmosphere-ocean-ice interactions.
Interactions between Water, Earth’s Surface, and Human Activity
By Sue DeBari1, Kyle Gray2, Julie Monet3
1. Western Washington University 2. University of Northern Iowa 3. California State University - Chico
This two-week (~10-hour) module focuses on water and its importance to humans, both as a limited resource and in shaping Earth's surface.
Environmental Justice and Freshwater Resources
By Adriana Perez1, Jill Schneiderman2, Meg Stewart, Joshua Villalobos3
1. Dona Ana Community College 2. Vassar College 3. El Paso Community College
This module enables students to identify the freshwater components of the hydrologic cycle and connect them to the basic need of all human beings for equal access to clean freshwater.
Staying Alive: Extinction Risk: Introduction to Extinction and Extinction Bias
09 Jan 2018 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Samantha Price1, Peggy Schaeffer2, Anna Thanukos3, Samantha Swauger2
1. University of California, Davis 2. DryadLab 3. University of California Museum of Paleontology
Data driven curriculum module from Dryad Digital Repository
A Walk Through the Woods
By Jerome Chave1, David Coomes2, Steven Jansen3, Simon Lewis4, Nathan Swenson5, Amy Zanne6, Gaby Lopez-Gonzales7, J Ilic, RB Miller8, MC Wiemann9, Samantha Swauger10
1. The Academy of Europe 2. Cambridge University 3. Ulm University 4. University College London 5. University of Maryland 6. The George Washington University 7. University of Leeds 8. University of California, Berkeley 9. University of Florida 10. DryadLab
Survivorship in the Natural World
By Anne Bronikowski1, Jeanne Altmann2, Diane Brockman3, Marina Cords4, Linda Fedigan5, Anne Pusey6, Tara Stoinski7, William Morris6, Karen Strier8, Susan Alberts6, Samantha Swauger9
1. Iowa State University 2. Princeton University 3. Messiah College 4. Columbia University 5. University of Calgary 6. Duke University 7. Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund 8. University of Wisconsin - Madison 9. DryadLab
Exploring the Lotka-Volterra Competition Model using Two Species of Parasitoid Wasps
05 Jan 2018 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Christopher Beck1, Judy Guinan2, Lawrence Blumer3, Robert Matthews4
1. Emory University 2. Radford University 3. Morehouse College 4. University of Georgia
Experiment included in Teaching Issues and Experiments in Ecology (TIEE) Volume 2
Drivers of Avian Local Species Richness: Continental-Scale Gradients, Regional Landscape, or Local Land Cover?
By Tom Langen
Experiment included in Teaching Issues and Experiments in Ecology (TIEE) Volume 8
Teaching Exponential and Logistic Growth in a Variety of Classroom and Laboratory Settings
By Barry Aronhime1, Bret Elderd1, Carol Wicks1, Margaret McMichael2, Elizabeth Eich3
1. Louisiana State University 2. Baton Rouge Community College 3. Rice University
Experiment included in Teaching Issues and Experiments in Ecology (TIEE) Volume 9
Modification to City Parks
By Kristen Kaczynski
California State University - Chico
Using a jigsaw approach, students calculated species richness, Shannon's diversity index and species evenness using the City Parks wildlife data.
Exploring the population dynamics of wintering bald eagles through long-term data
By Julie Beckstead1, Alexandra Lagasse1, Scott Robinson2
1. Gonzaga University 2. Wildlife Biologist, Retired, Bureau of Land Management Coeur d'Alene Field Office Coeur d'Alene
Practice module included in Teaching Issues and Experiments in Ecology (TIEE) Volume 7
Performing a Population Viability Analysis from Data Students Collect on a Local Plant
By Noah Chamey1, Sydne Record2
1. Hampshire College 2. Harvard University
Modification to What do Trees Know about the Rain
17 Dec 2017 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
Use of the tree ring data vs. precipitation to discuss how trees respond to drought
DNA Subway Learning Resources
18 Oct 2017 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Jason Williams
DNA Learning Center
DNA Subway is a NIBLSE Recommended resource. This is a collection of learning resources associated with DNA Subway.