Find information on common questions and issues.
Check on the status of your correspondences with members of the QUBES team.
Learning about Protein Structure and Function with Molecular CaseNet
22 Jul 2021 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Laurel Lorenz1, Keith A. Johnson2, Anya Goodman3, Shuchismita Dutta4
1. Princeton University 2. Bradley University 3. California Polytechnic State University 4. Rutgers University
Poster on the case studies available through Molecular CaseNet that focus on protein structure and function. Presented at the 2021 BIOME Institute.
odunayo ezekiel ojo
Kristen Delaney Nguyen
Patrick John Schultheis
Understanding Eukaryotic Genes modules: Glossary of terms
25 Jul 2020 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Meg Laakso1, Carina Howell2, Cathy Silver Key3, Leocadia Paliulis4, Maria S Santisteban5, Chiyedza Small6, Joyce Stamm7, Elena Gracheva8
1. Eastern University 2. Lock Haven University 3. North Carolina Central University 4. Bucknell University 5. UNC at Pembroke 6. Medgar Evers College CUNY 7. University of Evansville 8. Washington University in St. Louis
This glossary defines the key terms that are used in the Understanding Eukaryotic Genes modules.
Module 6: Alternative Splicing
By Leocadia Paliulis1, Anne Rosenwald2
1. Bucknell University 2. Georgetown University
This module explores how multiple different mRNAs and polypeptides can be encoded by the same gene. After completing this module students will be able to explain how alternative splicing of a gene...
Module 5: The Need for an Open Reading Frame
By Carina Howell1, Leocadia Paliulis2, Anne Rosenwald3
1. Lock Haven University 2. Bucknell University 3. Georgetown University
In this module, students will learn to identify the open reading frames for a given gene, and define the phases of the splice donor and acceptor sites.
Module 4: Removal of Introns from pre-mRNA by Splicing
By Meg Laakso1, Anne Rosenwald2
1. Eastern University 2. Georgetown University
In this module, students will learn to identify splice donor and acceptor sites that are best supported by RNA-Seq data, and use the canonical splice donor and splice acceptor sequences to identify...
Module 3: Transcription, Part II: What Happens to the Initial Transcript Made by RNA pol II?
By Cathy Silver Key1, Chiyedza Small2, Laura Reed3
1. North Carolina Central University 2. Medgar Evers College CUNY 3. The University of Alabama
This module teaches about the three key steps that are involved in converting the pre-mRNA into a mature mRNA: 1) The addition of a 5’ cap, 2) The addition of a 3’ poly(A) tail, 3) The removal of...
Module 2: Transcription Part I: From DNA Sequence to Transcription Unit
By Maria Santisteban1, Alexa Sawa2
1. University of North Carolina - Pembroke 2. College of the Desert
This module illustrates how a primary transcript (pre-mRNA) is synthesized using a DNA molecule as the template. Students will learn about the importance of the 5' and 3' regions of the gene for...
Nathan C Staples