Find information on common questions and issues.
Check on the status of your correspondences with members of the QUBES team.
Discovery Poster Project
28 Aug 2021 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Christopher Trimby1, Caroline Wienhold2, Janet Branchaw3
1. University of Delaware 2. University of Tennessee Knoxville 3. University of Wisconsin-Madison
Engaging in undergraduate research can be exciting yet intimidating to first-year students at large research universities. For first-generation college students, whose pre-college exposure to...
Analysis of QB@CC FMN in the implementation of OER Modules
27 Jul 2021 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By John Howard Starnes1, Sondra Marie LoRe2, Vedham Karpakakunjaram3, Joseph Esquibel4, Deborah Rook5, Kristin Jenkins6
1. Southcentral Kentucky Community and Technical College 2. National Institute of STEM Evaluation and Research (NISER) 3. Montgomery College 4. Lansing Community College 5. BioQUEST 6. University of Texas, Austin
Poster about the use of QB@CC modules in a faculty mentoring network. Presented at the 2021 BIOME Institute.
HITS: A network to create inquiry-based case studies that make high-throughput approaches and discovery accessible
25 Jul 2021 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Carlos Christopher Goller1, Sabrina Robertson2
1. North Carolina State University 2. UNC-Chapel Hill
Poster on the work of the NSF-funded High-throughput Discovery Science & Inquiry-based Case Studies for Today’s Students (HITS) Research Coordination Network. Presented at the 2021 BIOME Institute.
Creating ownership through creative writing: Advice columns as term papers in an upper-level Animal Behavior course
22 Jul 2021 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Jennifer Kovacs
Agnes Scott College
Poster on taking a creative writing approach to traditional term papers. Presented at the 2021 BIOME Institute.
Factor Structure Assessment of the Students Support Needs Scale-Augmented for African-American STEM Students
By Qingxia Li1, Thomas Gross2, Patricia Abbie McCarroll1, Catherine Hines2
1. Fisk University 2. Western Kentucky University
Poster on the impact of a performance pyramid-based peer-led learning community on course knowledge at a Historically Black University. Presented at the 2021 BIOME Institute.
Students Authoring Molecular Case Studies
By Elizabeth Pollock1, Kasandra Riley (She/Her)2, Didem Vardar-Ulu3, Shuchismita Dutta4
1. Stockton University 2. Rollins College 3. Boston University, Chemistry Department 4. RCSB Protein Data Bank, Rutgers University
Poster on using case studies to help students develop their skills in reading primary literature and identifying authentic scientific problems by authoring their own case studies. Presented at the...
Learning about Protein Structure and Function with Molecular CaseNet
By Laurel Lorenz1, Keith A. Johnson2, Anya Goodman3, Shuchismita Dutta4
1. Princeton University 2. Bradley University 3. California Polytechnic State University 4. Rutgers University
Poster on the case studies available through Molecular CaseNet that focus on protein structure and function. Presented at the 2021 BIOME Institute.
Consumable Science – Teaching Students to Translate Science for the General Public
By Sue Cooke
University of New Hampshire at Manchester
Poster about assignments with an emphasis on non-technical writing for a general audience. Presented at the 2021 BIOME Institute.
Genome Hunters: A Quantitative Biology Course-Based Undergraduate Research Experience (CURE)
19 Jul 2021 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Robert E Furrow1, Joel Rodríguez-Medina1, Alex Nord1, Mark Goldman1
University of California, Davis
Poster outlining the process of designing, implementing, and assessing a new quantitative biology CURE course series. Presented at the 2021 BIOME Institute.
Best Practices and Recommendations for Designing Activities for Highlighting Diverse Scientists Through Quantitative Skill Development
16 Jul 2021 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Kristen Butela1, Sheela Vemu2, Pratima Jindal3
1. University of Pittsburgh 2. Waubonsee Community College - 3. Waubonsee Community College
Poster on best practices to guide the design of quantitative skill-based learning activities that help create an inclusive environment. Presented at the 2021 BIOME Institute.
15 Jul 2021 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Derek Edward Sollberger
UC Merced School of Natural Sciences
Presentation on using the LearnR software in teaching. Presented at the 2021 BIOME Institute
Bird watching: An easy way to get students collecting real biological data
By Ellen Wisner
University of North Carolina Charlotte
Poster on ways to implement citizen science-based bird watching into education. Presented at the 2021 BIOME Institute.
Grappling with Graphs: New tools for improving graphing practices among biology students
By Stephanie M. Gardner1, Eli Meir2, Joel K Abraham3, Ryan Baker4
1. Purdue University 2. SimBiotic Software 3. California State University, Fullerton 4. University of Pennsylvania
Poster on gathering information about undergraduate biology students' graphing practices and using this information to guide teaching of graph construction. Presented at the 2021 BIOME Institute.
Choosing healthy data for healthy relationships: how to use 5-point summaries, box and whisker plots, and correlation to understand global health trends.
21 Jun 2021 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Andrea Huntoon1, John Doudna2, Pallavi Bhale3, Thalita Abrahão4, Alys Hugo5, Jennifer Lyon Adler6
1. Fox Valley Technical College 2. Lansing Community College 3. Montgomery College 4. Georgia State University Perimeter College 5. Everett Community College 6. Maysville Community and Technical College
This module utilizes a user-friendly database exploring data selection, box-and-whisker plot, and correlation analysis. It also guides students on how to make a poster of their data and conclusions.
Closing the Gap in the Open Educational Resources (OER) Life Cycle for Using Research Data in the Ecology Classroom
30 Dec 2020 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Kristine Grayson1, Kaitlin Bonner2, Arietta Fleming-Davies3, Ben Wu4, Raisa Hernández-Pacheco5
1. University of Richmond 2. St. John Fisher College 3. QUBES; Radford University 4. Texas AM University 5. California State University-Long Beach
Poster presented at the 2018 meeting of the Ecological Society of America on gaps in the curriculum cycle for open educational resources (OER) and our work supporting sharing and adaptation of...
Cross-Cultural Virtual Classroom for High School Calculus
14 Dec 2020 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Chonilo Sales Saldon
Zamboanga del Norte National High School, Philippines
The Covid-19 pandemic has forced institutions to conduct distance learning. Though challenging, this has also created pedagogical possibilities. Students can now experience cultural exchange though...
Perspectives and practices in sharing data-centric adaptations in the biology classroom: How, why, when, and where are instructors sharing these high-impact pedagogies?
By Kaitlin Bonner1, Arietta Fleming-Davies2, Kristine Grayson3, Ben Wu4, Raisa Hernández Pacheco5
1. St. John Fisher College 2. QUBES; Radford University 3. University of Richmond 4. Texas AM University 5. California State University-Long Beach
Poster presented at the 2019 meeting of the National Association of Biology Teachers on barriers to fully utilizing the complete Open Education Resources lifecycle
Research and Teaching Opportunities with a Large-scale Salamander Collaboration Network (SPARCnet): TWS Poster
By Kristine Grayson1, M. Caitlin Fisher-Reid2, Louise Mead3, Hannah Coovert1, Raisa Hernández Pacheco4, Jennifer Sevin1, Alexa Warwick5, Tanya Matlaga6, Sean Sterrett7, Chris Sutherland8, Jill Fleming9, David Muñoz10, David Miller10, Evan Grant9
1. University of Richmond 2. Bridgewater State University 3. BEACON Center for the Study of Evolution in Action 4. California State University-Long Beach 5. Michigan State University 6. Susquehanna University 7. Monmouth Unversity 8. University of St Andrews 9. United States Geological Survey 10. Penn State University
Poster presented at the 2020 virtual meeting of The Wildlife Society (TWS) on research and teaching opportunities with the Salamander Population and Adaptation Research Collaboration Network...
QUBES: An education gateway for accelerating undergraduate biology education reform
11 Dec 2020 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Sam S Donovan1, Jeremy M Wojdak2, Kristin Jenkins3, Drew LaMar4
1. University of Pittsburgh 2. Radford University 3. BioQUEST 4. College of William and Mary
Poster about QUBES as an education gateway presented at the 2020 Partners@QUBES Leadership Summit.
NIBLSE Collaborative Community Model for developing, disseminating, and assessing bioinformatics learning resources
08 Dec 2020 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By William (Bill) Morgan1, Adam Kleinschmit2, Anne Rosenwald3, Eric Triplett4, Mark A. Pauley5, William Tapprich6
1. The College of Wooster 2. University of Dubuque 3. Georgetown University 4. University of Florida 5. University of Nebraska at Omaha 6. University of Nebraska-Omaha
The Network for Integrating Bioinformatics into Life Sciences Education (NIBLSE) has cultivated a collaborative community model to facilitate the development, dissemination, and assessment of...