We hope you are taking steps to keep yourself, your family, and your communities physically and mentally healthy during these unprecedented times.
What a time for me to join this community! No one imagined that a pandemic was on the horizon when the QUBESHub began developing their online community six years ago. The platform we have in place is quickly sharing best practices and OER’s as our nation of teachers and learners quickly moves online. While physically isolated, the platform is serving to virtually connect our partner projects, thereby continuing to move our field forward. We are so pleased that QUBESHub is delivering more than we ever could have hoped for, at speeds we never could have considered necessary, to a community that we never imagined would swell to the numbers it has.
Get Involved! We are inviting you to get involved--or more involved--with QUBES. You already are a valuable partner in this project, and we want to ask you to join us in supporting the QUBES community. Below is a short list of activities that we invite you to consider, and attached are some sample wording for your media channels. Please reach out to let us know how we can help you, as you look to increase content in your group on QUBESHub.
Together we are better (but still staying at least 6 feet apart),
Karoline Pershell, PhD
PS I am new! Please feel free to reach out. I would love to learn more about your project and your partnership with QUBES.
How to be involved in supporting the community? Please take time to:
(1) Find the Teaching Quantitative Biology Online Group, our rapid response to the daily changes. Consider joining the group (but joining is not required) to:
- Contribute by sharing a forum post about upcoming activities
- Review our initial page of partner resources for teaching online. Do you have resources published on QUBES you would like to see here? If yes, please let us know.
- Take advantage of faculty-to-faculty Office Hours, and volunteer (or help us find volunteers) to do 30 minute zoom discussions
- Find resources for you! Resource Walk-throughs are short videos to give quick context to current and relevant materials so that colleagues can rapidly adapt them to their classrooms. Let us know if you are willing to do one!
(2) Tell your community about these resources! Use the sample posts below for social media, your QUBESHub project pages, and other ways you reach your colleagues. Feel welcome to edit as needed, and please include blurbs about your groups’ work!
Sample Posts (Short for Twitter)
- Check out Teaching Quantitative Biology Online for resources and support! #TeachingQuantBio #TeachingOnline #COVIDCampus @QUBESHub https://qubeshub.org/community/groups/quant_bio_online
- Open Mentoring Hours for Profs new to Online Teaching? Yes please! #OfficeHours #TeachingQuantBio @QUBESHub https://qubeshub.org/community/groups/quant_bio_online/officehours
- Open Educational Resources for teaching epidemiology modeling online. #QUBESCommunity #AllInThisTogether @QUBESHub https://qubeshub.org/community/groups/quant_bio_online
Sample Posts (Longer for your group page of for Facebook/LinkedIn)
- Too many online teaching resources to sort through? QUBES’ Teaching Quantitative Biology Online features targeted resources with short Resource Walk-throughs videos by the content developers to quickly help you understand if this is right for your class. Take a look and find out how to share your resources with the community! https://qubeshub.org/community/groups/quant_bio_online/teachertalk
- As a member of the QUBESHub Community, we want to share the rapid response QUBES created for teaching quantitative biology online: a collection of OER’s intended to be delivered online, many focused on timely issues of modeling and understanding COVID 19. https://qubeshub.org/community/groups/quant_bio_online
- Looking to troubleshoot your online content or teaching? QUBES open site and group, Teaching Quantitative Biology Online, has community members holding office hours to support other faculty. Drop in or volunteer to host your own faculty office hours. https://qubeshub.org/community/groups/quant_bio_online/officehours
- The QUBESHub page, Teaching Quantitative Biology Online, features a forum for posting of resources for post-secondary educators as we navigate this swift migration to online teaching. https://qubeshub.org/community/groups/quant_bio_online/resources