2019 HHMI BioInteractive Faculty Mentoring Network in Anatomy & Physiology
December 2018 - May 2019
HHMI BioInteractive is pleased to offer a unique networking and professional development opportunity from December 2018 – May 2019. Faculty participants in this network will work in small groups to produce teaching resources in content areas related to physiology that support existing HHMI BioInteractive stories. To qualify, participants must be willing to incorporate their teaching resource in their Introductory Biology, Physiology or Anatomy & Physiology course during 2019, and collect and share data (examples include survey responses and/or student artifacts) on implementation.
All participants will commit to:
1. Participate in regular, online meetings via Zoom for approximately 2 hours per month (December 2018-May 2019) to work with mentors and collaborate with other participants around resource development and implementation of the teaching materials.
2. Produce at least one resource that you will use with your students during the 2019 academic calendar (Spring, Summer, or Fall).
3. Spend additional time outside of these discussions for independent work on the teaching resource and on developing a round-table presentation for sharing your work product with other HAPSTERS.
4. Attend the HAPS Conference at the University of Portland, OR from May 22-26, 2019. For more information about this meeting, please visit the meeting page. You will be asked to:
- Participate in a pre-conference meeting on the afternoon of Wednesday, May 22nd.
- Present a round-table discussion on your work product during a BioInteractive workshop.
Benefits of participation:
All participants will receive:
- registration and four-nights lodging paid for by HHMI BioInteractive to attend and present at the HAPS 2019 Conference (participants will be responsible for their own travel to and from the conference);
- a forum for sharing expertise with network members on lecture/classroom/lab effective tips and strategies in small group virtual meetings every three weeks;
- constructive feedback on your teaching module from HHMI BioInteractive staff, scientist educators, and fellow FMN participants; and
- the opportunity to produce and publish an HHMI-associated resource on the QUBES platform.
Please indicate your interest in this opportunity by completing this FORM. The deadline is October 22nd at 11:59 PM Eastern and candidates will be notified regarding their status by November 5th. Participation is limited to 15 instructors. Participant selection will be based upon a variety of factors aimed at including faculty who represent a diversity of areas of scientific expertise, institution types, class sizes, and geography. We encourage participation of faculty that have experience working with diverse students.
More Information and Questions:
If you have questions, please feel free to contact Melissa Csikari (email@example.com).
Examples of resources created by previous FMNs on the HHMI Educator Publications Page: https://qubeshub.org/groups/hhmibiointeractive/educatorportal