iBEARS Process for Inquiry and Research
Phase 1 - Undergraduates meet their classes
1. What is a scientist?
2. What is an experiment?
3. Are you a scientist?
4. How many years until college?
5. Undergraduates represent a variety of groups
6. Discuss ideas for the experiment
Phase 2 - Design the Experiment
1. Ask a lot of questions
2. Discuss potential organisms
3. Discuss potential variables
4. Lab notebook
5. Determine setup of the experiment (# and sizes of containers, # organisms)
6. Choose measurements for data collection (weight, numbers, length, time, etc.)
Phase 3 - Collect and Analyze Data
2. Averaging data
3. Comparison of data from different groups
Phase 4 - Presentation of Results
2. Methods and Materials
3. Results and Conclusion
4. Literature Cited
Poster Presentation to their school and undergraduates
Phase 5 - Reflection