Using Linear Regression to Explore Environmental Factors Affecting Vector-borne Diseases
In this activity, students will apply statistical applications to analyze real data on vector borne diseases and explore how environmental factors such as climate change, ecosystem disturbance, or population density influence the transmission of these diseases.
Math Learning Objectives:
1) Perform data organization and analysis to produce descriptive statistics.
2) Explain the relationship between two variables.
3) Use technology to assist in the solution of both abstract and contextual problems.
Biology Learning Objectives:
1) Investigate the relationship between two variables using graphical and statistical methods (specifically linear regression).
2) Assess limitations of the data set and data analysis methods.
3) Discuss the human health and environmental implications based on the data.