Exploring Data with BISON
Author(s): Erica Krimmel
Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County
1410 total view(s), 430 download(s)
A module to explore aggregated observation and collection information, through BISON, or Biodiversity Information Serving Our Nation (https://bison.usgs.gov), a tool for visualizing GBIF data.
- ExploringDataWithBISON_2019-02-21.docx(DOCX | 1 MB)
- ExploringDataWithBISON_2019-02-21.pdf(PDF | 599 KB)
- License terms
A series of exercises to help students become acquainted with the capabilities of GBIF and BISON.
Students completing this exercise will be able to do the following:
- Recognize the importance of herbaria in plant biology research.
- Evaluate the quality of information and data obtained from a variety of sources.
- Discuss the value of big data for investigating large spatial- or temporal-scale phenomena.
- Evaluate the importance of citizen scientists to big data.
This material was developed to as part of a project titled: Connecting Students to Citizen Science and Curated Collections. Additional materials are available at CollectionsEducation.org.
Cite this work
Researchers should cite this work as follows:
- Krimmel, E. (2019). Exploring Data with BISON. Biodiversity Literacy in Undergraduate Education, QUBES Educational Resources. doi:10.25334/Q4JB14
There are no comments on this resource.