Exploring the population dynamics of wintering bald eagles through long-term data using R
Author(s): Kristen Kaczynski
California State University - Chico
951 total view(s), 827 download(s)
- BaldEagle.pptx(PPTX | 1 MB)
- BaldEagleConservation_Activity_S2019.docx(DOCX | 677 KB)
- Eagle Data Analysis_InstructorFile.R(R | 2 KB)
- eagleData.xlsx(XLSX | 10 KB)
- student_proposal.docx(DOCX | 15 KB)
- Exploring the population dynamics of wintering bald eagles through long-term data
- Teaching Notes.docx(DOCX | 14 KB)
- License terms
How does a bald eagle population change over time at a winter migratory stopover and which factors influence its abundance?
Students in this course have had courses in general ecology and statistics, where they were introduced to using R and R Studio. In addition, this was the final activity of four data intensive activities using R over the course of the semester.
I modified this activity to use in two consecutive 75 minute lectures of an upper division, senior level Applied Ecology course. The first class is devoted to the “research proposal” where they write down their predictions and draw graphs. The second class is devoted to R coding for data visualization and analyses.
Cite this work
Researchers should cite this work as follows:
- Kaczynski, K. (2019). Exploring the population dynamics of wintering bald eagles through long-term data using R. ESA Data Explorers FMN (2019), QUBES Educational Resources. doi:10.25334/Q4GF2X
There are no comments on this resource.