After annotating their phage genomes, students will write a Microbiology Resource Announcement (MRA) describing the phage(s) they discovered.
After completing this module, students should be able to:
- Write drafts of a Microbiology Resource Announcement describing annotated phage genomes
- Collaborate with their peers to write a final draft of the Microbiology Resource Announcement
- Understand that scientific writing is an ongoing process from peer review to final publication
- Be proficient in locating suitable resources and using appropriate citations for the publication
How is the module structured to promote student development as a scientist? One of the most important aspects of being a scientist is becoming an excellent writer to communicate the results of projects. Quality writing exemplifies the basic skills expected of a trained scientist: organization, attention to detail, and critical analysis. After having annotated their phage genomes, students will initially write a draft of a Microbiology Resource Announcement before working collaboratively as a class to write the final draft. This module will promote peer collaboration, encourage engagement and independence, model scientific thinking, and produce scientific output.
Intended Teaching Setting
- Course level: majors, first-year students, upperclassmen, honors students
- Instructional Setting: In-person classroom or online
- Implementation Time Frame: 4-5 hours from writing preliminary draft to final draft ready for submission
0 - Facilitator Guide
Learning activity document(s):
1 - MRA Data Collection Template
2 - MRA Template
3 - MRA Faculty Checklist
4 - MRA Rubric
Version 1.1 updates the change from using Genome Announcement to Microbiology Resource Announcement. The Guide also provides clarity on the process to work with the University of Pittsburgh to assure that Genbank Accession numbers and SRA information is submitted.
Version 2.1. This version, uploaded January 2022, reflects substantial updates to the original QUBES resource. Version 2.1 is intended to serve as a resource for faculty and students writing a Microbiology Resource Announcement. The templates included in this version of the QUBES resource are designed to ensure that all information needed for MRA submission is included in the final written document. The resource also includes an updated grading rubric that reflects the information necessary for MRA submission.
Cite this work
Researchers should cite this work as follows: