This adaptation consists of three exercises that introduce students to 1) format spreadsheet data tables, 2) carry out spreadsheet quality control, and 3) count/sort/filter data of interest in order to conduct a pilot analysis on NEON small mammal...
This module adaptation combines the Data Carpentry: Data Organization in Spreadsheets Ecology Lesson (Bahlai and Teal 2017) and the teaching module Data Management Using NEON Small Mammal Data (McNeil and Jones 2018) to address the challenge of managing data during research by incorporating already developed spreadsheet data management exercises to answer an extended question on NEON small mammal data.
This activity is designed to be carried out in a 1.25 hr lecture style course, however, students will need access to computers during this activity. Although the activity can be easily extended, its adaptation to the original was intended for instructors with high need to teach data management skills in a short period of time.
Specific module adaptations
Data Carpentry: Data Organization in Spreadsheets Ecology Lesson activity from Software Carpentry was added to McNeil and Jones (2018) in order to emphasize on proper data management when using large datasets.
In this adapted activity, students will learn how to:
- format spreadsheets for effective data use.
- carry out spreadsheet quality assurance and control.
- conduct a pilot analysis by managing a large, open access dataset to answer a research question.
This module adaptation was implemented in 2018 at the University of Richmond during an introductory biology course.
Contents ( Show bundle contents ) Bundle
- formatted_small_mammal_comm.xlsx(XLSX | 41 KB)
- NEON.Adaptation_DataManagementWithNEONSmallMammalData_Slides.pptx(PPTX | 55 MB)
- NEON.Adaptation_FacultyNotes_DataManagementWithNEONSmallMammalData.docx(DOCX | 25 KB)
- NEON_small_mammal_data.xlsx(XLSX | 281 KB)
- small_mammal_community.xls(XLS | 30 KB)
- License terms
Cite this work
Researchers should cite this work as follows:
- Hernández-Pacheco, R. H. (2018). More In Depth Spreadsheet Management Adaptation of Data Management using NEON Small Mammal Data. NEON Faculty Mentoring Network, QUBES Educational Resources. doi:10.25334/Q44X4D
Version 1.0: This version of the adaptation was prepared as part of the 2018 NEON FMN.