Find information on common questions and issues.
Check on the status of your correspondences with members of the QUBES team.
An undergraduate bioinformatics curriculum that teaches eukaryotic gene structure
31 Aug 2021 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Meg M. Laakso1, Leocadia V. Paliulis2, Paula Croonquist3, Brianna Derr2, Elena Gracheva4, Charles Hauser5, Carina Howell6, Christopher Jones7, Jacob D. Kagey8, Jennifer Kennell9, S. Catherine Silver Key10, Hemlata Mistry11, Srebrenka Robic12, Jamie Sanford13, Marisol Santisteban14, Chiyedza Small15, Rebecca Spokony16, Joyce Stamm17, Melanie Van Stry18, Wilson Leung4, Sarah C.R. Elgin4
1. Eastern University 2. Bucknell University 3. Anoka-Ramsey Community College 4. Washington University in St. Louis 5. St. Edward’s University 6. Lock Haven University 7. Moravian College 8. University of Detroit Mercy 9. Vassar College 10. North Carolina Central University 11. Widener University 12. Agnes Scott College 13. Ohio Northern University 14. The University of North Carolina at Pembroke 15. Medgar Evers College, The City University of New York 16. Baruch College, The City University of New York 17. University of Evansville 18. Lane College
Gene structure, transcription, translation, and alternative splicing are challenging concepts for many undergraduates studying biology. These topics are typically covered in a traditional lecture...
Tackling "Big Data" with Biology Undergrads: A Simple RNA-seq Data Analysis Tutorial Using Galaxy
28 Aug 2021 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Matthew Anthony Escobar*1, William Morgan2, Irina Makarevitch3, Sabrina Robertson4
1. California State University San Marcos 2. The College of Wooster 3. Hamline University 4. North Carolina State University
Analyzing high-throughput DNA sequence data is a fundamental skill in modern biology. However, real and perceived barriers such as massive file sizes, substantial computational requirements, and...
Teaching RNAseq at Undergraduate Institutions: A tutorial and R package from the Genome Consortium for Active Teaching
22 Aug 2021 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Mark Phillip Peterson1, Jacob T Malloy2, Vincent P Buonaccorsi2, James H Marden3
1. Viterbo University 2. Juniata College 3. Pennsylvania State University
Next-generation sequencing is radically changing the study of biology, but there are currently few resources aimed at teaching the required laboratory and data-analysis skills to undergraduate...
RNAseq data analysis using Galaxy
02 Jul 2021 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Matthew Escobar1, Sam S Donovan2, Irina Makarevitch3, Bill Morgan4, Sabrina Robertson5
1. California State University San Marcos 2. University of Pittsburgh 3. Hamline University 4. The College of Wooster 5. North Carolina State University
This is a bioinformatics exercise intended for use in a computer lab setting with life science majors.
GEA Introductory lesson on RNA-Seq
25 Jul 2020 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Jason Williams1, Judy Brusslan2, Ray Enke3, Matthew Escobar4, Vince Buonaccorsi5
1. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory 2. California State University Long Beach 3. James Madison University 4. California State University San Marcos 5. Juniata College
This RNA-Seq lesson uses the CyVerse VICE Platform and Jupyter notebooks to examine the expression of the leptin gene in samples from a mouse experimental design evaluating diet (high-fat vs....
Genomics Education Alliance: Towards Genomics CURE templates
23 Jul 2020 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Vince Buonaccorsi1, Arthur Hunt2, Emily Wiley3, Sandesh Subramanya4, Wilson Leung5, Sally Elgin6
1. Juniata College 2. University of Kentucky Lexington 3. Claremont McKenna College 4. Austin Community College 5. Washington University in St. Louis 6. Washington University - St. Louis
Here we present major findings of a national survey of faculty teaching genomics CUREs conducted by the GEA, and our work on presenting relevant resources on the QUBES web portal.
Erika Schwarz Taylor
Margaret S Saha
Plasmodium Problem Space
07 Jan 2019 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Sam S Donovan
University of Pittsburgh
This problem space brings together diverse resources with the goal of helping biology teachers and learners engage in research investigations.
04 Jan 2019 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
This lesson plan was created to teach RNAseq analysis as a part of GCAT-SEEK network. It is provided here, both in finished form and with the modifiable source code, to allow flexible adaptation to...
RNA-Seq Analysis GCAT-SEEK Workshop Manual
12 Sep 2018 |
Posted by Wilson Leung
Melissa C Srougi
13 Nov 2017 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
01 Aug 2017 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Matthew Escobar
California State University - San Marcos
03 Jul 2017 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
05 Jun 2017 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Bill Morgan1, Matthew Reeder2
1. The College of Wooster 2. Ohio State University
In this computer lab module, students learn how to process an RNA-seq data set to identify differentially expressed genes (DEGs). The samples for this data set were collected from yeast cells...