Find information on common questions and issues.
Check on the status of your correspondences with members of the QUBES team.
STEM Inclusive Teaching Practices Webinar Series: Fixed vs Growth Mindset and Why the Biggest Challenge May be Faculty (Episode Seven)
30 Aug 2021 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Brett Woods
High Point University
This webinar will explore how faculty can teach with a growth mindset and identify some potential areas of fixed mindset that might prove to be obstacles for many students.
Scientist Spotlights and Data Nuggets Workshop Materials (BIOME 2021)
29 Jul 2021 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Jessica Ashley Allen1, Jennifer Apple2, Karen Groh3, Elizabeth Hamman4, Pratima Jindal5, Pat Marsteller6, Heather Olins7, Darlene Panvini8, Rachel Pigg9, Gustavo Requena Santos10, Merrie Renee Richardson11, Sheela Vemu12, Jennifer Wade13, Suann Yang14
1. Columbia College 2. SUNY Geneseo 3. Good Samaritan College 4. St Mary's College of Maryland 5. Waubonsee Community College 6. Emory University 7. Boston College 8. Belmont University 9. University of Louisville 10. Science Yourself 11. Southcentral Kentucky Community & Technical College 12. Waubonsee Community College - Tenure Track and Northern Illinois University 13. Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences 14. State University of New York College at Geneseo
Materials and resources for the "Scientist Spotlights and Data Nuggets Workshop," presented at the 2021 Biology and Mathematics Educators (BIOME) Institute.
Integrating Social Justice into your STEM Classroom: Redlining & Health
28 Jul 2021 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Mary Mulcahy1, Ethell Vereen2, Marci Cole Ekberg3, Jennifer Kovacs4, Durrain Ansari-Yan5, Tamara Basham6, Mackenzie Boyer7, Matthew Joshua Heard8, Adriane Clark Jones9, Shannon Jones10, Erica Lannan11, Pat Marsteller12, Sarah Prescott13, Gustavo Requena Santos14
1. University of Pittsburgh at Bradford 2. Morehouse College 3. Diablo Valley College 4. Agnes Scott College 5. Diablo Valley college 6. Collin County Commuity College District 7. Arizona State University 8. Winthrop University 9. Mount Saint Mary's University 10. University of Richmond 11. Prairie State College 12. Emory University 13. University of New Hampshire 14. Science Yourself
Workshop about models for introducing social justice issues into classes developed in a Faculty Mentoring Network. Presented at the 2021 BIOME Institute.
Analysis of QB@CC FMN in the implementation of OER Modules
27 Jul 2021 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By John Howard Starnes1, Sondra Marie LoRe2, Vedham Karpakakunjaram3, Joseph Esquibel4, Deborah Rook5, Kristin Jenkins6
1. Southcentral Kentucky Community and Technical College 2. National Institute of STEM Evaluation and Research (NISER) 3. Montgomery College 4. Lansing Community College 5. BioQUEST 6. University of Texas, Austin
Poster about the use of QB@CC modules in a faculty mentoring network. Presented at the 2021 BIOME Institute.
CourseSource 2.0: Finding high quality field-tested OERs, publishing evidence-based teaching activities, and promoting community collaborations.
26 Jul 2021 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Erin Vinson
University of Maine
Workshop materials related to the CourseSource platform. Presented at the the 2021 BIOME Institute.
HITS: A network to create inquiry-based case studies that make high-throughput approaches and discovery accessible
25 Jul 2021 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Carlos Christopher Goller1, Sabrina Robertson2
1. North Carolina State University 2. UNC-Chapel Hill
Poster on the work of the NSF-funded High-throughput Discovery Science & Inquiry-based Case Studies for Today’s Students (HITS) Research Coordination Network. Presented at the 2021 BIOME Institute.
Integrating Social Justice into your STEM Classroom: Redlining & Environmental Science
By Tamara Basham1, Denise Piechnik2, Durrain Ansari-Yan3, Mackenzie Boyer4, Marci Cole Ekberg5, Matthew Joshua Heard6, Adriane Clark Jones7, Shannon Jones8, Jennifer Kovacs9, Erica Lannan10, Pat Marsteller11, Mary Mulcahy2, Sarah Prescott12, Gustavo Requena Santos13, Ethell Vereen14
1. Collin County Commuity College District 2. University of Pittsburgh at Bradford 3. Diablo Valley college 4. Arizona State University 5. Diablo Valley College 6. Belmont University 7. Mount Saint Mary's University 8. University of Richmond 9. Agnes Scott College 10. Prairie State College 11. Emory University 12. BioQUEST - Executive Director / UNH - Assoc. Prof. 13. Science Yourself 14. Morehouse College
Materials for the workshop on social justice presented at the 2021 BIOME Institute.
QB@CC Community Standards for Events
23 Jul 2021 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Vedham Karpakakunjaram
Community standards and expectations for in-person and online events hosted by QB@CC
Creating ownership through creative writing: Advice columns as term papers in an upper-level Animal Behavior course
22 Jul 2021 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Jennifer Kovacs
Agnes Scott College
Poster on taking a creative writing approach to traditional term papers. Presented at the 2021 BIOME Institute.
Factor Structure Assessment of the Students Support Needs Scale-Augmented for African-American STEM Students
By Qingxia Li1, Thomas Gross2, Patricia Abbie McCarroll1, Catherine Hines2
1. Fisk University 2. Western Kentucky University
Poster on the impact of a performance pyramid-based peer-led learning community on course knowledge at a Historically Black University. Presented at the 2021 BIOME Institute.
Students Authoring Molecular Case Studies
By Elizabeth Pollock1, Kasandra Riley (She/Her)2, Didem Vardar-Ulu3, Shuchismita Dutta4
1. Stockton University 2. Rollins College 3. Boston University, Chemistry Department 4. RCSB Protein Data Bank, Rutgers University
Poster on using case studies to help students develop their skills in reading primary literature and identifying authentic scientific problems by authoring their own case studies. Presented at the...
Learning about Protein Structure and Function with Molecular CaseNet
By Laurel Lorenz1, Keith A. Johnson2, Anya Goodman3, Shuchismita Dutta4
1. Princeton University 2. Bradley University 3. California Polytechnic State University 4. Rutgers University
Poster on the case studies available through Molecular CaseNet that focus on protein structure and function. Presented at the 2021 BIOME Institute.
Consumable Science – Teaching Students to Translate Science for the General Public
By Sue Cooke
University of New Hampshire at Manchester
Poster about assignments with an emphasis on non-technical writing for a general audience. Presented at the 2021 BIOME Institute.
Genome Hunters: A Quantitative Biology Course-Based Undergraduate Research Experience (CURE)
19 Jul 2021 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Robert E Furrow1, Joel Rodríguez-Medina1, Alex Nord1, Mark Goldman1
University of California, Davis
Poster outlining the process of designing, implementing, and assessing a new quantitative biology CURE course series. Presented at the 2021 BIOME Institute.
Best Practices and Recommendations for Designing Activities for Highlighting Diverse Scientists Through Quantitative Skill Development
16 Jul 2021 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Kristen Butela1, Sheela Vemu2, Pratima Jindal3
1. University of Pittsburgh 2. Waubonsee Community College - 3. Waubonsee Community College
Poster on best practices to guide the design of quantitative skill-based learning activities that help create an inclusive environment. Presented at the 2021 BIOME Institute.
15 Jul 2021 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Derek Edward Sollberger
UC Merced School of Natural Sciences
Presentation on using the LearnR software in teaching. Presented at the 2021 BIOME Institute
Bird watching: An easy way to get students collecting real biological data
By Ellen Wisner
University of North Carolina Charlotte
Poster on ways to implement citizen science-based bird watching into education. Presented at the 2021 BIOME Institute.
Grappling with Graphs: New tools for improving graphing practices among biology students
By Stephanie M. Gardner1, Eli Meir2, Joel K Abraham3, Ryan Baker4
1. Purdue University 2. SimBiotic Software 3. California State University, Fullerton 4. University of Pennsylvania
Poster on gathering information about undergraduate biology students' graphing practices and using this information to guide teaching of graph construction. Presented at the 2021 BIOME Institute.
Critical inquiry for inclusive teaching of statistics
28 Jun 2021 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Carrie Diaz Eaton
Professional development workshop slides to help curate conversations in teaching statistics with a critical inquiry lens.
Choosing healthy data for healthy relationships: how to use 5-point summaries, box and whisker plots, and correlation to understand global health trends.
21 Jun 2021 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Andrea Huntoon1, John Doudna2, Pallavi Bhale3, Thalita Abrahão4, Alys Hugo5, Jennifer Lyon Adler6
1. Fox Valley Technical College 2. Lansing Community College 3. Montgomery College 4. Georgia State University Perimeter College 5. Everett Community College 6. Maysville Community and Technical College
This module utilizes a user-friendly database exploring data selection, box-and-whisker plot, and correlation analysis. It also guides students on how to make a poster of their data and conclusions.