Find information on common questions and issues.
Check on the status of your correspondences with members of the QUBES team.
BAG Lab Manual Yeast
30 May 2019 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Lisa Scheifele
Loyola University Maryland
This is the lab manual for yeast chromosome synthesis
Avida-ED Lab Book
24 May 2019 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Robert T Pennock1, Louise Mead2, Wendy Johnson3, Amy Lark3, Jim Smith1, Cory Kohn4
1. Michigan State University 2. BEACON Center for the Study of Evolution in Action 3. Avida-ED 4. Keck Science Department, The Claremont Colleges
Avida-ED activities, modified for the Argentina 2019 Avida-ED Workshop, presented at the 2019 BioQUEST & QUBES Summer Workshop
Universal Design for Learning and Accessibility of the Day
05 Feb 2019 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Andrew Osborne Hasley1, Hayley Orndorf2
1. University of Wisconsin - Madison 2. University of Pittsburgh
Overview of Universal Design for Learning, presented to a faculty mentoring network during a virtual meeting
BioQUEST / QUBES Summer Workshop 2019 - Code of Conduct
23 Nov 2018 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Kristin Jenkins1, Hayley Orndorf2
1. BioQUEST 2. University of Pittsburgh
We are using this project to publish and version our meeting code of conduct. Our goal is to engage the conference community in the discussion of the code of conduct to raise awareness about it.
Math and Stats in the Biology Classroom with HHMI BioInteractive
08 Nov 2018 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Kristine Grayson1, Karen Lucci2, Bob Kuhn3
1. University of Richmond 2. Hopewell Valley Central High School 3. Centennial High School
Conquer basic math and statistics used in biology while exploring classroom-ready resources. Concepts include central tendency and variation, spreadsheet skills, graphing, and data analysis with...
Questions For Biology: Concept Inventories for Biological Concepts
30 Oct 2018 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Gülnur Birol1, Greg Bole1, Sunita Chowrira1, Bridgette Clarkston1, Thomas Deane1, Malin Hansen1, Erica Jeffery1, Pam Kalas1, Kathy Nomme1, Rosemary Oh-McGinnis1, Angie O’Neill1, Carol Pollock1, Joan Sharp1, Karen Smith1, Michelle Tseng1
University of British Columbia
The Questions For Biology (Q4B) team aims to create validated concept inventories for use in diagnosing student misconceptions, informing teaching practices and tracking learning gains across a...
Computational Biology using R
By Hong Qin
University of Tennessee Chattanooga
This is an introductory level course on computational biology.
Draft Version: Energy Balance Models
25 Oct 2018 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Daniel Flath, Hans G. Kaper, Frank Wattenberg, Esther Widiasih
This module introduces the student to the process of mathematical modeling.
Data from: Advancing population ecology with integral projection models: a practical guide
23 Oct 2018 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Cory Merow, Johan Dahlgren, Jessica Metcalf, Dylan Childs, Margaret Evans, Eelke Jongejans, Sydne Record, Mark Rees, Roberto Salguero-Gómez, Sean McMahon
Review important resources for building IPMs and provide a comprehensive guide, with extensive R code, for their construction.
Towards better modelling and decision support: Documenting model development, testing, and analysis using TRACE
20 Oct 2018 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Jacqueline Augusiak1, Andreas Focks1, Béatrice M. Frank2, Faten Gabsi3, Alice S.A. Johnston4, Chun Liu4, Benjamin T. Martin5, Mattia Meli6, Viktoriia Radchuk2, Pernille Thorbek7, Steven F Railsback8, Volker Grimm9
1. Wageningen University, Aquatic Ecology and Water Quality Management Group, Wageningen University and Research Centre, P.O. Box 47, 6700 AA Wageningen, The Netherlands 2. Université Catholique de Louvain, Earth and Life Institute, Croix du Sud 2, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium 3. RWTH Aachen University, Institute for Environmental Research, Worringerweg 1, 52074 Aachen, Germany 4. University of Reading, School of Biological Sciences, Philip Lyle Building, Room 405, Reading RG6 6AS, UK 5. University of California Santa Barbara, Department of Ecology, Evolution, and Marine Biology, Santa Barbara, CA 93106-9620, USA 6. Roskilde University, Department of Environmental, Social and Spatial Change, Universitetsvej 1, P.O. Box 260, 4000 Roskilde, Denmark 7. yngenta, Environmental Safety, Jealott's Hill International Research Centre, Bracknell, Berkshire RG42 6EY, UK 8. Lang Railsback & Associates 9. Unknown
We introduce TRACE, a framework for documenting model testing and analysis. TRACE is based on the recently proposed framework of model "evaluation" , and is designed to make models fit for...
Advancing population ecology with integral projection models: a practical guide
By Cory Merow1, Johan Dahlgren2, Jessica Metcalf3, Dylan Childs4, Margaret Evans5, Eelke Jongejans6, Sydne Record7, Mark Rees4, Roberto Salguero-Gómez8, Sean McMahon9
1. Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT, USA 2. Department of Ecology, Environment and Plant Sciences, Stockholm University, Stockholm, Sweden 3. Department of Zoology, Oxford University, Oxford, UK 4. Department of Animal and Plant Sciences, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK 5. Laboratory of Tree-Ring Research and Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, USA 6. Department of Animal Ecology and Ecophysiology, Institute for Water and Wetland Research, Radboud University Nijmegen, Nijmegen, The Netherlands 7. Harvard University, Harvard Forest, Petersham, MA, USA 8. Centre for Biodiversity and Conservation Science, University of Queensland, St Lucia, Qld, Australia 9. Smithsonian Environmental Research Center, Edgewater, MD, Edgewater, MD, USA
Integral projection models (IPMs) use information on how an individual's state influences its vital rates – survival, growth and reproduction – to make population projections using regression...
Closing the Gap in the Open Educational Resources (OER) Life Cycle with HHMI BioInteractive Resources
13 Aug 2018 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Kristine Grayson
University of Richmond
This poster was presented at the HHMI BioInteractive Educator Professional Development Conference in 2018. It details the HHMI BioInteractive site on QUBES and the resources published by educators...
Developing Quantitative Skills in Your Courses Using HHMI BioInteractive Resources
27 Jul 2018 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Holly Basta1, Rebecca Orr2
1. Rocky Mountain College 2. Collin College
This workshop will focus on how HHMI BioInteractive resources and inclusive teaching practices can be used to increase students’ quantitative literacy and confidence working with data. A...
QUBES: Building a community to promote undergraduate quantitative biology education
13 Jul 2018 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Sam S Donovan1, Carrie Diaz Eaton2, Kristin Jenkins3, Drew LaMar4, Jeremy M Wojdak5, Nicole Chodkowski5, Gabriela Hamerlinck6, Deborah Rook6, Elia Crisucci1, Hayley Orndorf1
1. University of Pittsburgh 2. Unity College 3. BioQUEST 4. College of William and Mary 5. Radford University 6. QUBES, BioQUEST
Poster on the QUBES project presented at the 2018 QUBES/BioQUEST Summer Workshop
27 Jun 2018 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
Short, daily case activity on Universal Design for Learning and Accessibility at the 2018 QUBES/BioQUEST Summer Workshop
Using the Environmental Column To Connect Silos
By J. Phil Gibson1, Jeff Basara1
University of Oklahoma
Poster on diverse sampling techniques to increase scientific communication presented at the 2018 QUBES/BioQUEST Summer Workshop
Evo-Ed: Cases for Effective Evolution Education
22 Jun 2018 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Jim Smith
Michigan State University
BioQUEST 2018 Education Resources for Evo-ED.
Links to Avida-ED spreadsheets for Active LENS and BioQUEST 2018
Avida-ED materials and resources for Active LENS and BioQUEST 2018.
Using Case Studies to Engage Students in Wicked Problems
By Stacey Kiser1, Pat Marsteller2, Aditi Pai3, Justin Pruneski4, Ethel D Stanley5, Margaret Waterman6
1. Lane Community College, BioQUEST 2. Emory University 3. Spelman College 4. Heidelberg University 5. BioQUEST 6. Southeast Missouri State University
Interactive presentation on using case studies at the 2018 QUBES/BioQUEST Summer Workshop
21 Jun 2018 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Nick Galt1, Tomas Helikar2
1. Valley City State University and University of Nebraska-Lincoln 2. University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Session presentation on an easy-to-use software, that makes this computational modeling approach accessible to any student and instructor