Data Resources & Data Literacy Workshop
November 18-19, 2016
Biodiversity Institute, University of Florida
The Biodiversity Collections Network (BCoN) is charge with evaluating and refining these recommendations and evolving sustainable plans to address continued needs. To support the goals of NIBA Implementation Plan and the Biodiversity Collections Network, BCoN and QUBES are conducting a small workshop that brings together leaders in the collection community, with science educators focused on data literacy, and professionals from the larger collective data driven science community, to 1) identify key cross-cutting foundational data literacy skills necessary in an undergraduate education, 2) co-ordinate existing educational initiatives and modules for developing transferrable data skills and translatable resources, and 3) organize the community of data scientists and biology educators to promote efficient use of resources, identify ongoing common goals and develop a productive and sustainable collaboration.
Goals & Outcomes of the Meeting
1. Identify community of data scientists and educators interested in core transferrable data literacy standards
2. Define data literacy gaps in the core undergraduate education.
3. Propose next steps to address data literacy needs and undergraduate education
4. Outline a 5 and 10 year plans to address data literacy gaps
5. Establish next steps in building the community
1. A revised manuscript on data literacy and workforce training in the undergraduate curriculum
2. A timeline and benchmarks for addressing growing the collaborative community of data scientists and educators invested in data literacy in the undergraduate curriculum.
Workshop Planning Committee