Cell Cycle and Cancer
The goal of these multi-week activities is to use Cancer Biology as a theme to introduce concepts in the cell cycle, cell biology, genetics and signal transduction.
These activities are appropriate for high school and Introductory Biology classes.
- Identify the different stages of the cell cycle.
- Estimate the duration of the different stages of the cell cycle from microscopic examination of onion root tips slides.
- Relate deficiencies in cell cycle regulation to development of cancer
- List the names, chromosomal location and functions of genes identified in various types of cancer
- Describe how mutations in cancer driver genes can result to abnormal cell biology and development of cancer cells
Julia Ossler onto Genetics