Life Discovery Conference Travel Awards and a new fall 2017 FMN
The Ecological Society of America and its partners are pleased to announce the Life Discovery Conference Travel Awards of up to about $1,000 are available for faculty to participate in the 4th Life Discovery – Doing Science Education conference (LDC; Oct. 19-21, 2017). The goal of the awards is to increase the diversity of participants and institutions at the conference. An exciting opportunity associated with the Travel Award is the option to also participate in the LDC-QUBES Faculty Mentoring Network (FMN) - a unique networking and professional development opportunity from September – November 2017 for faculty interested in bringing authentic research data into high school and undergraduate classrooms. If selected for the FMN, faculty will implement one or more selected Data Nuggets in their AP biology, introductory biology, or ecology courses at both high school and college levels. Travel awards are made possible through an award from the National Science Foundation. The application deadline is July 10.
The Life Discovery - Doing Science Biology Education Conference (www.esa.org/ldc) is a collaborative initiative of the Ecological Society of America (ESA), Botanical Society of America (BSA), Society for the Study of Evolution (SSE) and Society for Economic Botany (SEB).
QUBES (https://qubeshub.org) is an NSF-funded virtual center that supports collaboration to promote quantitative biology education at the undergraduate level.
Data Nuggets (http://datanuggets.org/) are free activities that engage students in the practices of science through an innovative approach that combines scientific content from authentic research with key concepts in quantitative reasoning, now widely used in K-16 classrooms.
Attend our Information Webinar on June 28, 2017 at 1:00pm EST.
Register for the webinar by June 26, 2017.
For full information, please visit: http://www.esa.org/ldc/travel-awards/
Who should apply?
Faculty from high school, community colleges, minority-serving institutions, and primarily undergraduate institutions as well as faculty from underrepresented minority communities in any institution needing travel support.
July 10, 2017
- Eligibility to apply for the LDC-QUBES Faculty Mentoring Network for a full semester of support from experienced facilitators and peers.
- A nation-wide community of peers focused on data rich biology classrooms.
- LDC offers keynotes, short presentations, workshops, and field trips at the leading edge of the life sciences focused on incorporating data into the classroom
- Unique to LDC: Facilitated networking opportunities and the Education Roundtable Share Fair
- Complimentary one-year online only membership to the Ecological Society of America and the Botanical Society of America for participants who have not been members previously in these societies.