Fall 2018 FMN- Amplifying the data analytic opportunities in your CURE
Amplifying data analytic opportunities in your CURE
Are you interested in incorporating full data analysis projects into your classes? Do you have a CURE data set you need support analyzing and interpreting? Apply now to join us for the fall 2018 Passion-Driven Statistics/QUBES Faculty Mentoring Network (FMN). Participants in this FMN will plan and conduct quantitative analyses using large data sets and research questions of their choosing. Accepted applicants will create an educational module for their unique biology topic. While doing this, they will participate in weekly virtual sessions, receive support for conducting analyses on their chosen platform (i.e. SAS, R, Stata, Python or SPSS) and collaborate with others in the network. Early career participants are especially encouraged to apply.
We will consider study design, measurement, data management decisions, selection and use of different analytic tools, best practices in written presentation of results and visualization. Each participant’s experience in the network will be individualized to her/his own interests, background and needs. You may use the statistical platform you are comfortable with or learn a new one!
Sessions will include discussion focused on the steps involved in data analysis, followed by hands-on mentorship and consultation in support of making meaningful progress in the analysis and interpretation of data sets to support individual classroom projects and/or personal research goals.
More information on educational resources using Passion-driven Statistics can be found here: http://passiondrivenstatistics.com/
Applications for Fall 2018 are now open - read for more information.
- Applicants must have a data set they will work with and a basic research question already developed (e.g. choice of one independent variable and one dependent variable).
- Participants will conduct a data-centered project of their choosing with data from a CURE and prepare a corresponding educational module for their students.
- Attend 1-hr online meetings once per week for 6 weeks, September through October; day/time of meeting will be determined by participant schedules
- Participate in review and feedback of FMN colleagues' materials
- Contribute modifications or new content for posting on QUBESHub
Benefits of participation:
- One-on-one statistical and statistics platform consulting as needed.
- Leave this FMN with a project-based research module for use in your classroom.
- Participants will be listed as authors on the material where they make significant contributions on the QUBESHub website.