Find information on common questions and issues.
Check on the status of your correspondences with members of the QUBES team.
Jul 26 2021
Genomics Education Partnership Summer Trainings
Jul 12 2021
Jun 14 2021
Kirk R Anders
Understanding Eukaryotic Genes modules: Glossary of terms
25 Jul 2020 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Meg Laakso1, Carina Howell2, Cathy Silver Key3, Leocadia Paliulis4, Maria S Santisteban5, Chiyedza Small6, Joyce Stamm7, Elena Gracheva8
1. Eastern University 2. Lock Haven University 3. North Carolina Central University 4. Bucknell University 5. UNC at Pembroke 6. Medgar Evers College CUNY 7. University of Evansville 8. Washington University in St. Louis
This glossary defines the key terms that are used in the Understanding Eukaryotic Genes modules.
Module 6: Alternative Splicing
By Leocadia Paliulis1, Anne Rosenwald2
1. Bucknell University 2. Georgetown University
This module explores how multiple different mRNAs and polypeptides can be encoded by the same gene. After completing this module students will be able to explain how alternative splicing of a gene...
Module 5: The Need for an Open Reading Frame
By Carina Howell1, Leocadia Paliulis2, Anne Rosenwald3
1. Lock Haven University 2. Bucknell University 3. Georgetown University
In this module, students will learn to identify the open reading frames for a given gene, and define the phases of the splice donor and acceptor sites.
Module 4: Removal of Introns from pre-mRNA by Splicing
By Meg Laakso1, Anne Rosenwald2
1. Eastern University 2. Georgetown University
In this module, students will learn to identify splice donor and acceptor sites that are best supported by RNA-Seq data, and use the canonical splice donor and splice acceptor sequences to identify...
Module 3: Transcription, Part II: What Happens to the Initial Transcript Made by RNA pol II?
By Cathy Silver Key1, Chiyedza Small2, Laura Reed3
1. North Carolina Central University 2. Medgar Evers College CUNY 3. The University of Alabama
This module teaches about the three key steps that are involved in converting the pre-mRNA into a mature mRNA: 1) The addition of a 5’ cap, 2) The addition of a 3’ poly(A) tail, 3) The removal of...
Module 2: Transcription Part I: From DNA Sequence to Transcription Unit
By Maria Santisteban1, Alexa Sawa2
1. University of North Carolina - Pembroke 2. College of the Desert
This module illustrates how a primary transcript (pre-mRNA) is synthesized using a DNA molecule as the template. Students will learn about the importance of the 5' and 3' regions of the gene for...
GEA Introductory lesson on BLAST
By Justin DiAngelo1, Alexis Nagengast2, Wilson Leung3, Douglas L Chalker3
1. Penn State Berks 2. Widener University 3. Washington University in St. Louis
The "Introduction to BLAST using Human Leptin" exercise aims to introduce students to the use of the Basic Local Alignment Search Tool (BLAST) to identify related sequences and compare similarity...
Genomics Education Alliance: A Collection of Posters for the 2020 BIOME Institute.
23 Jul 2020 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Vince Buonaccorsi1, Marcella Denise Cervantes2, Douglas L Chalker3, Anne Rosenwald4, Emily Wiley5, Jason Williams
1. Juniata College 2. Albion College 3. Washington University in St. Louis 4. Georgetown University 5. Claremont McKenna College
This is a collection of posters from members of the Genomics Education Alliance (GEA) that will be presented at the 2020 BIOME Institute.
The Genomics Education Partnership: Exploring best practices in implementation of a genomics CURE
By Matthew Wawersik1, Anna Allen2, Cindy Arrigo3, Andrew Arsham4, Daron Barnard5, Rebecca Burgess6, Justin DiAngelo7, Jennifer Jemc8, Christopher Jones9, Lisa Kadlec10, Adam Kleinschmit11, Judith Leatherman12, David Lopatto13, Mollie Manier14, Hemlata Mistry15, Nathan Mortimer16, Alexis Nagengast15, Susan Parish17, Anne Rosenwald18, Joyce Stamm19, Sarah Elgin20, Laura Reed21
1. William & Mary 2. Howard University 3. New Jersey City University 4. Bemidji State University 5. Worcester State University 6. Stevenson University 7. Penn State Berks 8. Loyola University Chicago 9. Moravian College 10. Wilkes University 11. Adams State University 12. University of Northern Colorado 13. Grinnell College 14. George Washington University 15. Widener University 16. Illinois State University 17. McDaniel College 18. Georgetown University 19. University of Evansville 20. Washington University in St. Louis 21. University of Alabama
Since 2006, the Genomics Education Partnership (GEP) has incorporated authentic genomics research experiences into the undergraduate curriculum.