Find information on common questions and issues.
Check on the status of your correspondences with members of the QUBES team.
Closing the Gap in the Open Educational Resources (OER) Life Cycle for Using Research Data in the Ecology Classroom
30 Dec 2020 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Kristine Grayson1, Kaitlin Bonner2, Arietta Fleming-Davies3, Ben Wu4, Raisa Hernández-Pacheco5
1. University of Richmond 2. St. John Fisher College 3. QUBES; Radford University 4. Texas AM University 5. California State University-Long Beach
Poster presented at the 2018 meeting of the Ecological Society of America on gaps in the curriculum cycle for open educational resources (OER) and our work supporting sharing and adaptation of...
Cross-Cultural Virtual Classroom for High School Calculus
14 Dec 2020 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Chonilo Sales Saldon
Zamboanga del Norte National High School, Philippines
The Covid-19 pandemic has forced institutions to conduct distance learning. Though challenging, this has also created pedagogical possibilities. Students can now experience cultural exchange though...
Perspectives and practices in sharing data-centric adaptations in the biology classroom: How, why, when, and where are instructors sharing these high-impact pedagogies?
By Kaitlin Bonner1, Arietta Fleming-Davies2, Kristine Grayson3, Ben Wu4, Raisa Hernández Pacheco5
1. St. John Fisher College 2. QUBES; Radford University 3. University of Richmond 4. Texas AM University 5. California State University-Long Beach
Poster presented at the 2019 meeting of the National Association of Biology Teachers on barriers to fully utilizing the complete Open Education Resources lifecycle
Research and Teaching Opportunities with a Large-scale Salamander Collaboration Network (SPARCnet): TWS Poster
By Kristine Grayson1, M. Caitlin Fisher-Reid2, Louise Mead3, Hannah Coovert1, Raisa Hernández Pacheco4, Jennifer Sevin1, Alexa Warwick5, Tanya Matlaga6, Sean Sterrett7, Chris Sutherland8, Jill Fleming9, David Muñoz10, David Miller10, Evan Grant9
1. University of Richmond 2. Bridgewater State University 3. BEACON Center for the Study of Evolution in Action 4. California State University-Long Beach 5. Michigan State University 6. Susquehanna University 7. Monmouth Unversity 8. University of St Andrews 9. United States Geological Survey 10. Penn State University
Poster presented at the 2020 virtual meeting of The Wildlife Society (TWS) on research and teaching opportunities with the Salamander Population and Adaptation Research Collaboration Network...
QUBES: An education gateway for accelerating undergraduate biology education reform
11 Dec 2020 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Sam S Donovan1, Jeremy M Wojdak2, Kristin Jenkins3, Drew LaMar4
1. University of Pittsburgh 2. Radford University 3. BioQUEST 4. College of William and Mary
Poster about QUBES as an education gateway presented at the 2020 Partners@QUBES Leadership Summit.
NIBLSE Collaborative Community Model for developing, disseminating, and assessing bioinformatics learning resources
08 Dec 2020 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By William (Bill) Morgan1, Adam Kleinschmit2, Anne Rosenwald3, Eric Triplett4, Mark A. Pauley5, William Tapprich6
1. The College of Wooster 2. University of Dubuque 3. Georgetown University 4. University of Florida 5. University of Nebraska at Omaha 6. University of Nebraska-Omaha
The Network for Integrating Bioinformatics into Life Sciences Education (NIBLSE) has cultivated a collaborative community model to facilitate the development, dissemination, and assessment of...
Faculty Mentoring Networks: Community Professional Development for the Digital Age
04 Dec 2020 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Deborah Rook1, Sam S Donovan2, Carrie Diaz Eaton3, Kristin Jenkins1, Drew LaMar4, Jeremy M Wojdak5, Nicole Chodkowski5, Elia Crisucci2, Adam Fagen6, Gabriela Hamerlinck7, Elizabeth Hamman8, Hayley Orndorf9
1. BioQUEST 2. University of Pittsburgh 3. Bates College and QUBES 4. College of William and Mary 5. Radford University 6. BioQUEST Curriculum Consortium 7. QUBES, BioQUEST 8. Tulane University 9. QUBES; BioQUEST; University of Pittsburgh
Poster for Partners@QUBES Leadership Summit 2020What is an FMN? What is it like to be in one? What are the benefits?
QB@CC Poster for NABT 2020
24 Nov 2020 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Jennifer Glee Buntz1, Joseph Esquibel2, Kristin Jenkins3, Vedham Karpakakunjaram4, Jillian Marie Miller5, Christianne Baucom Nieuwsma6, Heather Seitz7, John Howard Starnes8
1. Central New Mexico Community College 2. University of Wisconsin - Madison, Madison College 3. BioQUEST 4. Montgomery College 5. Roane State Community College 6. South Mountain Community College 7. Johnson County Community College 8. Southcentral Kentucky Community and Technical College
This is a poster presentation at the 2020 NABT Annual PD Conference. This poster describes the goals of QB@CC project, progress in the first year and an update on the upcoming events.
Quantitative Biology at Community Colleges: Building a Community of Biology and Math Faculty to Develop and Disseminate Open Educational Resources
31 Aug 2020 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Vedham Karpakakunjaram1, Kristin Jenkins2
1. Montgomery College 2. BioQUEST
This is a poster presented at the SABER West 2020 conference. We introduced the grant's goals and objectives, described the leadership team and disseminated the information about the first network...
Ethics in Synthetic Biology
28 Aug 2020 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Lisa Scheifele1, Fran Sandmeier
Loyola University Maryland
This collection of five activities provide students with an introduction to thinking about ethical concerns in human genome synthesis, gene editing, metabolic engineering, and synthetic genomes.
30 Jul 2020 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Lisa Scheifele
Implementing a Math Prerequisite - Does it help or hurt?
29 Jul 2020 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Stacey Kiser1, Christine Andrews2, Matthew Fisher3, Shannon Seidel4, Molloy Wilson2, Natalie Wright5
1. Lane Community College, BioQUEST 2. Lane Community College 3. Oregon Coast Community College 4. Pacific Lutheran University 5. Kenyon College
Poster on the effect of math prerequisite courses on student success in introductory biology. Presented at the 2020 BIOME Institute: Cultivating Scientific Curiosity
Digital Laboratory Framework via Canvas for LIFE courses at Colorado State University
28 Jul 2020 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Tanya Dewey1, Craig Marshall2, Kim Hoke2, Meena Balgopal2
1. Colorado State University and the Animal Diversity Web (animaldiversity.org) 2. Colorado State University
The Life Lab Revisions team has piloted a Canvas-based approach to building scientific competencies in labs.
The ADW: a database of animal natural history that supports complex, authentic student inquiry.
By Tanya Dewey
Colorado State University and the Animal Diversity Web (animaldiversity.org)
Poster on the Animal Diversity Web and Quaardvark presented at the 2020 BIOME Institute: Cultivating Scientific Curiosity
Anti-bias Education Puppet Plays
By Julia Robinson
Cecilia Berg Center for Environmental Education; Hefner Museum of Natural History; Miami University
Nature provides science content for teacher preparation certification programs and the backdrop for puppet plays used as a springboard for teaching the NAEYC's four goals of Anti-bias...
Integrating digitized biodiversity data exploration into the undergraduate biology curriculum
27 Jul 2020 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Debra Linton1, Libby Ellwood2, Lisa White3, Anna Monfils1
1. Central Michigan University 2. La Brea Tar Pits and Museum, Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County 3. UC Museum of Paleontology
Poster on the Biodiversity Literacy in Undergraduate Education (BLUE) project presented at the 2020 BIOME Institute: Cultivating Scientific Curiosity
CyVerse: Scalable Image Informatics
By Tyson Lee Swetnam1, Edwin Skidmore2, Tony Edgin2, Ramona Walls2, Eric Lyons2, Nirav Merchant2
1. University of Arizona BIO5 Institute, CyVerse 2. University of Arizona
Poster on cyberinfrastructure for the machine learning ere presented at the 2020 BIOME Institute: Cultivating Scientific Curiosity
Cell Collective: Learning biology with modeling and simulations
By Ehren Whigham1, Tomas Helikar1
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Cell Collective is an online, research-grade modeling platform adapted to engage students in creating and simulating dynamic models of biological processes.
Genome Solver: Building faculty skills in bioinformatics
23 Jul 2020 | Teaching Materials | Contributor(s):
By Vinayak Mathur1, Gaurav Arora2, Vinodh Ganesan3, Hita Gupta4, Mariana Kazarian5, Anne Rosenwald6
1. Cabrini University 2. Gallaudet University 3. Temple University 4. Conestoga High School 5. Horace Mann School 6. Georgetown University
Genome Solver (GS) began in 2011 as an NSF-funded project for faculty training in basic web-based bioinformatics skills.
Genomics Education Alliance: A Collection of Posters for the 2020 BIOME Institute.
By Vince Buonaccorsi1, Marcella Denise Cervantes2, Douglas L Chalker3, Anne Rosenwald4, Emily Wiley5, Jason Williams
1. Juniata College 2. Albion College 3. Washington University in St. Louis 4. Georgetown University 5. Claremont McKenna College
This is a collection of posters from members of the Genomics Education Alliance (GEA) that will be presented at the 2020 BIOME Institute.