Tips for addressing expectations when engaging in MURAL
Memorandum of research expectations
Try to address these early and upfront.
- Talk about meaningful collaboration.
- Talk about employee responsibility early.
- Talk about being respectful.
- Does your college have a code of conduct?
- Show evidence that diverse, collaborative teams are more prolific.
- Co-construct student expectations and penalties.
- Lead to each student coming up with a contract for behavior and consequences.
Authorship when working with students
- Talk about authorship early
- Have written guidelines
- When a target journal has been identified and you are polishing the work, reach out to former students. Be clear about the criteria for authorship and a date by which you need to know about their participation.