Tips for teaching modeling for undergraduate applied math research
Some tips for teaching modeling courses
- Match student groups based on free time.
- Give up content in upper-level courses.
- Create a course for your research students.
- To manage lots of projects at once – instead of having multiple topics in your modeling course, try having one topic, but each group working on different aspects, have projects worked on by groups (purposefully teach collaboration!!).
- Low-entry modeling courses allow us to work with students longer.
- Infuse growth mindsets into your teaching (link from Chad Topaz).
- We have started a “project” in this group devoted to incorporating and scaffolding writing and communication into the modeling curriculum. (link)