Second meeting for me

1. Susan Meiers

Hi, I'm a teaching nerd and phycologist (algae-head) at Western Illinois University, here amongst the corn and mud (actually had some sunshine today!).  I teach Introductory Biology for Majors and Non-Majors, various Plant classes, Integrated Sciences (biology, geology, biochem, astronomy, and ecology and evolution), Organic Evolution, Phycology (study of algae) and a graduate course in Biosystematics and Evolution.   I am looking forward to learning from y'all and trading ideas on how to improve my teaching and student learning. 

I'm a certified crazy cat lady, with 5 cats now living with me and my wife, Carolyn.  They range in age from 4 months to 16 years, so it's either insanely busy or seriously quiet in the house.  Carolyn's retired and enjoying it a lot; I look forward to eventually retiring, but now is not the time.  

I'm an introvert, so I tend to hang out on the edges of groups and chime in when the spirit moves me.  I will work to get out of my Comfort Zone and be more social, so we'll see.  I like scifi and fantasy books, movies, and shows, and enjoy sleeping and reading when I'm not grading or preparing for class. I also took a stained glass class at the John C. Campbell Folk School (Brasstown, SC) over Spring Break to refresh my skills for stained glass.  I really enjoy it a lot and hope to make more time to work on projects this summer.

Looking forward to the conference and participating in the activities and discussions and having more resources for teaching and student learning.  My last conference with QUBES was 2 years ago, and I loved it!

Report abuse

2. Jennifer Glee Buntz

Hi Susan,

Will be good to see you again this summer.

Jennifer

Report abuse