Perot Saelao Intro

1. Perot Saelao

Hello everyone!

My name is Perot Saelao (pronouns: He/Him/His) and I'll be one of the Future Faculty Fellows lending a hand to hopefully help contribute where I am needed! 

I am currently a Computational Bioinformaticist with the USDA Agricultural Research Services working in the Honey Bee Breeding, Genetics, and Physiology research unit in Baton Rouge, LA. This would be my first experience working with bees (is it normal to be scared of your model organism?), prior I did my PhD in Genetics at the University of California, Davis. I was working on understanding host-pathogen interactions in chickens, while also doing some GWAS/genomic work in a few other farm animal species. I am really excited to see all the amazing ways people are applying Data Science methods to teaching/research. Specifically I'm interested in seeing broad application of these teaching methods, and I'm also generally curious how Data Scientist have separated themselves from statisticians. 

Since everyone has been posting pictures of their pets I get to shameless promote my cats Scruffy the Janitor (Black Short Hair) and Mop Bucket (Tabby). 

I look forward to meeting everyone and hope to hear more about y'alls amazing work!

IMG-3838.JPG

Report abuse