Math, modeling, and music

1. Dmitry Kondrashov

I'm Dmitry Kondrashov, teaching faculty at the University of Chicago for 12 years, where I develop and teach quantitative courses as part of the biological science curriculum. I have taught quantitative modeling for first-year biology majors using R programming as the unifying approach for making abstract ideas more concrete and subject to experimental interrogation. I am trained as an applied mathematician, but have lived in biology departments since graduate school, where I worked in protein structure determination and dynamic modeling, but since I've focused on teaching,  my horizons have broadened beyond structural biology.

I have only limited experience using capital-d Data in the classroom, as I've usually sanitized and simplified the datasets in my introductory courses to make the points clear. I am hoping to learn from this workshop how others use real, messy, complex data and what learning goals may be reasonable to set. I have recently co-developed a course on Fundamentals of Biological Data Analysis, which combines statistical theory with hands-on R workshops, and I'll be happy to share my experiences at the workshop.

This is my first BioQuest/Qubes Summer Workshop, and I'm very excited about it! (I've attended similar week-long workshops on Scientific Teaching and at MBI before and enjoyed those too). I love playing music and will bring my guitar with me, and I'm very comfortable playing together or accompanying people, so please bring an instrument and join me, we can make some noise!

Report abuse

2. Jennifer Glee Buntz

Dmitry,

Very interested in the work you have done to develop the Fundamentals of Biological Data Analysis course.  I don't have any musical capabilities to contribute, but will enjoy listening to others.

Looking forward to meeting you,

Jennifer

CNM Biology Faculty

Report abuse

3. Dmitry Kondrashov

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for the kind words, I'm very happy to share my resources and will present a WiP about this course. I look forward to meeting you and learning from you!

Dmitry

Report abuse