Intro: Jenny Rahn

1. Jenny Rahn

My name is Jenny Rahn and I'm the Introduction to Biology Lab coordinator here at William & Mary. I've been at this position for three years now and have been working to introduce biology students to data processing and data management in the lab setting. I recently worked with an interdisciplinary team of Biology (including Margaret Saha) and Computer Science faculty developing ways to bring computer science to the Intro experience. As a result of that collaboration, I have developed and implemented a Jupyter Notebook platform to introduce my students to coding-based methods of data analysis with Python. In my previous life, I worked as a research scientist in the biomedical sciences, focusing specifically on using non-mammalian models to ask questions about DNA repair and mitochondrial dysfunction. With the advent of accessible and affordable sequencing and data-centered methodologies, I believe it is critically important to introduce the next generation of scientists to computer science and big data early and often to get over what I often see as a "fear factor". This will be my first QUBES/BioQUEST Workshop and I'm excited to hear more ideas from the community. Personally, I love being outside in any capacity, and have a large garden that keeps me busy during the summer. My fiance and I have a "fur baby", a rescue dog of unknown age named Daphne, who loves to "help" with the gardening. When I can drag myself out of the dirt, I love paddleboarding, hiking, surfing, reading and gaming. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and I'm thrilled to be participating in what seems like a wonderful program.

Report abuse

2. Jennifer Glee Buntz

Jenny, 

Your work with students and data in a lab setting sounds very interesting.  Hope we can connect so that I can learn more about what you do in that area of your job.

Jennifer 

CNM Biology Faculty

Report abuse

3. Sarah Prescott

Looking forward to meeting you Jenny! I love gardening as well and right now my tomato plants are taller than me! Hoping they start to ripen soon before neighbors start wondering what strange jungle plants I am growing over here!

Report abuse

4. Dmitry Kondrashov

Hi Jenny,

I'm looking forward to meeting you and working with you on our team! Your work on using Jupyter notebooks in Intro biology sounds very interesting, would love to learn more about it!

Dmitry

Report abuse