Intro: Sarah Prescott

1. Sarah Prescott

I am excited to join all of you in a few days! I am an Associate Professor at the University of New Hampshire (UNH). I am officially a professor of Chemistry, but my research background is in Genetics. I teach in both chem and bio fields ( Gen Chem, Organic Chem, Biochemistry, Genomics, Personal Genomics) and have diverse research interests. I am starting a new research project aimed at sequencing owl genomes, and awaiting federal approval to start collecting feathers for the project (I am collaborating with a wildlife rehabilitation center near me). Owls are a personal passion of mine, so this new project is very near and dear! 

I will be working with Melissa Haswell on finalizing a case we wrote together (come see our WIP on the same) to submit for publication during our "down time" at BQ (hint for newcomers -- there isn't much of this!)  

I also will be giving a WIP to share a resource I use in several courses (PeerWise). I am an OER ambassador for my university and always seek out open resources to use whenever possible. I also recently designed several Twitter assignments that I use in my Biochem and Genomics courses. Please follow me on Twitter if you are there (@drsarahgrace) and during the academic year you can follow and participate! in our class discussions, or just see what shenanigans I am up to. 

I was asked to help out with a new mentoring program to help connect our BQ newcomers this summer. Please let me know how I am doing! If you need anything, don't hesitate to reach out to me or any of the BQ staff. Finding this group (way back in the 90's, when i went to my first BQ/Bedrock 3day workshop in Bar Harbor) has been one of the highlights of my academic career. I always look forward to my BQ Summer Camp (Jim Smith said it first, but I know he won't mind that I stole it)! 

See you all soon!

Report abuse