John Starnes-Introduction

1. John Howard Starnes

Hello everyone!  I look forward to working with all of you at the upcoming workshop.  I am an Associate Professor and the Natural Sciences Coordinator at Somerset Community College in Kentucky.  My background is in Plant Pathology with a focus more towards genetics.

Being an instructor at a small community college, my teaching responsibilities have encompassed most of our biology courses at some time or another. This will be my second Summer Workshop, and I have used several of the modules developed from the previous workshop in my courses. I first learned about the workshops from the QUBES Faculty Mentoring Networks.  These FMNs have been a great way to interact with other colleagues and to set aside some time to reflect on the current methods I use to teach students.

As what I hope to gain from the workshop, I am always looking at how to modify activities to an online classroom environment, and how to make these online courses more engaging for students. With the competition, for time, my students face (work, children, etc..), how can I give them the skills they need without overwhelming them? I hope to learn from all of you the strategies you use in bringing data into the classroom.

Report abuse

2. Pat Marsteller

Hi John

Welcome!

Have you ever tried case studies to engage students?

Pat

Report abuse