Inclusive, Diverse, Equitable, and Accessible Communities Leading Change in STEM Classrooms
- Virtual Week 1: July 10-14, 2023
- Optional In-Person Week 2: July 24-27, 2023 @ Univ of New Hampshire
Fall Working Groups
- September 4 - November 17, 2023
Creating equitable and inclusive learning environments f or all of our students empowers them as thinkers, scientists, and citizens. Furthermore, inclusive learning spaces increase the diversity of STEM fields in general, which advances scientific discovery and innovation. How do we foster a sense of belonging and community for our students while engaging all perspectives? What strategies cultivate inclusivity and equity in classrooms, and how do we extend those practices to inform our education projects and professional networks? How can we overcome isolation and become more effective by establishing new norms for collaboration among our projects?
The 2023 BIOME Institute will create bridges connecting existing and newly created communities of practice and ignite new collaborations. The BioQUEST Community will share knowledge of the creation of learning environments where educators and learners don’t just survive, but thrive. BioQUEST has been leading STEM education reform for almost 40 years, and this year we will work to connect diverse communities of change-makers, STEM reformers, and all those interested in this mission to extend the excellent work already being done. Participants will gain a deeper understanding of the work that has been done by others and how they can accelerate a change in STEM education with IDEAS (Inclusivity, Diversity, Equitability, and Accessibility).
BIOQUEST: Evolution and Revolution in STEM Education
You should participate if you are interested in:
- Using evidence based pedagogical approaches and resources to help build Inclusive, Diverse, Equitable, and Accessible Communities in STEM communities.
- Supporting diverse learners through exploration of inclusive teaching practices, Universal Design for Learning, and resources designed to engage students in social justice as a part of scientific practice.
- Actively participating in a community of like minded peers.
- Learn from others and work to accelerate change in STEM education with IDEAS.
- Building bridges between groups from different disciplines that are implementing inclusive and accessible pedagogical practices, including Open Education Resources (OER)
- Build new norms for collaboration and connection across BioQUEST Partner Projects.
- Prioritize areas of action to be taken together to help to bend the arc towards justice in STEM communities.
- Strengthening our community of committed, enthusiastic educators at all levels.