Welcome to the SCUDEM Forum

1. Leigh Noble

Hello everyone. I'm on the technical support team for SIMIODE, the organization that administers SCUDEM.

I want to welcome everyone to the Forum and invite you to post. You'll need to create an account using the "Login" button. Once you have that account, you can post here and you can even post anonymously.

I have heard that the Challenge Problems for SCUDEM 2021 will be thought-provoking. I can't wait to see them revealed on the Challenge start date October 23, 2021.

If you are curious as to what the Judges will look for, we provide a Scoring Rubric they will use as a guide. I'm attaching it to this Forum post so you can find it quickly.

Everyone at SIMIODE hopes you a great experience during SCUDEM 2021. Enjoy the problem solving process and have fun.

Report abuse

2. Kealey Dias

Hi, Leigh.

I'm potentially interested in trying out this challenge with my Diff Eq class this semester.

My question is: can a coach only coach a single 3-student team, or could I coach several teams to involve more of my class?

Thanks for your time.

K. Dias

Report abuse

3. Brian Winkel

Hi Kealey,

The more the merrier. Yes you can coach multiple teams. We have had faculty who offered their entire class the opportunity to do SCUDEM in lieu of class graded event and they all took it! We had one faculty last year who had over 50 students engage. So, if after consideration you and your students wish to participate, just have them register with you as coach - perhaps bring in another colleague. Then meet with them and go over previous submissions and discuss general modeling principles and approaches to previous years' problems. Welcome!

Brian Winkel, SIMIODE Director 

Report abuse